Scoring

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 20, 2015
I just wanted to score it correctly and my interpretation of the rule was that it wasn't an error. Was looking for confirmation.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
I just wanted to add 16U or older, because I would never consider scoring that as an error at 14U or under.

It is rare that the play described would be ruled an error at the NCAA level or MLB level for that matter. Unless the runner would have been out at home by a mile with a good throw.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Scenario
Runner on second.
Ball hit to left center on an extremely muddy field.
Center fields the ball and throws to the short stop who relays to home but hits the backstop because of the muddy ball. Runner from second scores and would have anyway regardless of the throw, the batter ends up on second, but not as a result of the throw.

Should it be scored a throwing error on the shortstop?

I can't think of a more subjective decision in baseball or fastpitch than judging an "error". The question that must be answered for the correct decision in assessing a play is "did the fielder fail to make a play that could normally be executed, and did a batter / runner benefit from it". It's not "did the fielder fail to make an outstanding play off a good hit and / or a fast runner".

Although not seeing the play makes a judgement even more difficult, it's not unusual for a runner to score from 2B on a hit to the OF. Since there was a relay, the ball must have been hit fairly deep. The SS getting the runner out at Home on such a play is possible, but not likely, so regardless of where the throw goes, it's probably not an "error" as far as that play is concerned. As for the runner advancing to 2B, again, it's not unusual for a runner to end up on 2B as the result of a deep OF hit. At worst for the hitter, it's a single (with RBI) and an advance to 2B on the throw. If it was not possible for the defense to get her out at 2B, or if it would have needed to be an "outstanding play", she gets a double.

When in doubt, give the benefit of that doubt to the hitter, and move on. It's hard enough to cleanly hit a sphere with a cylinder, and it's also hard to routinely make the "outstanding play". I disagree that field conditions don't play into the assessment. If the ball hits a rock and takes a wicked hop past the fielder, does that count as an error? I don't think so.

Dec 13, 2014
I was thinking this was a no brainer- no error. But, If I was scoring and saw that the batter got to first and did not seem like she was going to second on the throw, then advanced only because the throw was wild I would score it an E6.

Dec 13, 2014
Agreed but they stated the runner would have advanced because of the throw regardless if it was on target or not.

Just giving probably the only possible scenario that an E would be scored. Just had my own DD lose a no no on a close judgement call. Funny , thought in college that scoring would be a lot better but still sketchy. I know with the internet and all the easy access for the kids to see their stats it is hard but try to have them worry more about W and Ls instead of RBI and HRs.