Scoring

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 20, 2015
Scenario
Runner on second.
Ball hit to left center on an extremely muddy field.
Center fields the ball and throws to the short stop who relays to home but hits the backstop because of the muddy ball. Runner from second scores and would have anyway regardless of the throw, the batter ends up on second, but not as a result of the throw.

Should it be scored a throwing error on the shortstop?

Feb 12, 2014
I have to ask a question -Is your daughter involved in this play ? and if so which player was she ?

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Scenario
Runner on second.
Ball hit to left center on an extremely muddy field.
Center fields the ball and throws to the short stop who relays to home but hits the backstop because of the muddy ball. Runner from second scores and would have anyway regardless of the throw, the batter ends up on second, but not as a result of the throw.

Should it be scored a throwing error on the shortstop?

As described, there is no error on the play as there is no base advanced that would have been achieved if the play had been executed flawlessly.

If the runner would have been out on a good throw or the runner got an extra base now it is different.

And field conditions are irrelevant to scoring.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I think I have this right:

Play at 1st, SS throws the ball 10’ over the first base girl’s head.

If the runner would have been out with a good throw, error on SS.
If the runner would have been safe with a good throw no error.

If the RF is backing up and kept the runner at first, no error.
If the runner advances to 2nd, error on SS.

Nov 18, 2013
If it happened as described, no error, single, RBI, batter/runner advances to 2B on FC.

If the scorer, and not the SS's parent, thinks the runner advanced home due to the throw it's an error on the SS.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
If it happened as described, no error, single, RBI, batter/runner advances to 2B on FC.

This^^^^ unless this is 16U or 18U high level TB and the scorer feels that the SS should have made the play and gives her an error.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
keatonskidmore