Scoring Hit Ball Deflected Out of Play

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Asking this only about proper scoring of the play, not the rule itself:

Batter hits a little flare behind the third baseman. Shortstop makes a diving effort. Ball deflects off her glove, into foul territory and out of play.

I know the rule is two bases. That's what happened. Batter ended up at second.

But how is this scored? Single and E6 (because it went out of play)? The batter-runner was on her way to second by the time the ball trickled out of play. Had it just hit the fence and not rolled past it, it would've been a double. But I'm thinking since, technically, she was awarded second on the dead ball, she only gets a single. And even though the shortstop didn't do anything wrong, she probably gets penalized for the ball going out of play.

Jul 22, 2015
Asking this only about proper scoring of the play, not the rule itself:

Batter hits a little flare behind the third baseman. Shortstop makes a diving effort. Ball deflects off her glove, into foul territory and out of play.

I know the rule is two bases. That's what happened. Batter ended up at second.

But how is this scored? Single and E6 (because it went out of play)? The batter-runner was on her way to second by the time the ball trickled out of play. Had it just hit the fence and not rolled past it, it would've been a double. But I'm thinking since, technically, she was awarded second on the dead ball, she only gets a single. And even though the shortstop didn't do anything wrong, she probably gets penalized for the ball going out of play.
If I'm just scoring for my team and internal statistics it's a double. But, if it is for a league or more strict purposes then I believe you have it correct. You need to account for the ball going out of play when it would not have done so otherwise.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
That's a double all the way.

It's more interesting if she would have been held at 1st had the ball not gone out of play. In that case I think you porbably have a 1B and tough luck error to SS for knocking the ball out of play.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
I've scoured the scoring rule books and can't find (doesn't mean it's not there) something on this, so I'm going to default to the scoring on Carlos Martinez's homer off Jose Canseco's head. That was ruled a home run (a couple years ago we had a similar play ruled a four-base error).

IMO, the play from my game was similar to Canseco's in that A) it was not a routine play and B) the action of the defender caused the ball to go out of play. It's different in that one went over the fence and the other went out of play in foul territory, but that wouldn't affect the scoring.

I'm going with a double.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802