Scoring Disasters: The Flaws of Letting Unknowing Parents Keep Book

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
Rule #1 to keeping the book is be subjective. If your player makes and Error, put an error down. If they reach on error, the appropriate stat. A pitcher should not have to carry the burden of fielding errors counted as hits/runs and a the team leading hitter should not be related to the one keeping GC if they are .50+ above the best player on the team.
I think you meant objective 😉

May 29, 2019
I mentioned in my original post that the defense did try to throw her out but the batter was safe by a good step because of her speed. I feel like if the defense fields a bunt and tries to throw the batter out and they fail then that should definitely count as a hit.

Yes, this is 100% a hit in that situation. Not even debatable. Even if the fielder "looks back" the runner before throwing it is still a hit.

however in the scenario you’re giving I would probably score that as a hit as well just cause I tend to be more generous with things like that. However I could understand why other people might score that as a fielders choice. I only really score bunts as sacs when the runner gets thrown out.
The defense holding the ball doesn't automatically negate a hit. If the fielder doesn't have, or don't think they have a play, then it is a hit.

However, if you a situation such as: Tied game, bottom of 7th, runner on 3rd with 1 out. Batter drops a bunt right in front of the plate and the catcher holds the ball at the plate preventing the winning run from scoring, then that is a case for defensive indifference because the batter/runner is of no consequence to the game. If it is say, 3rd inning in a 5-0 game (for example) I would give the batter the benefit of the doubt and score the "no-throw" to first an infield single.

There is also scorekeeper "judgement" that comes into play. Example: If there is a "bad" infield throw pulling the first basement off the base, but a speedy runner had the throw beat anyway, then that should be scored a hit. I used to see that call missed all the time with our fast bunter/slappers.

Most people volunteering to keep game changer don't really know how to score the game correctly. They hear terms fielders choice, defensive indifference, ect and think they know what it means just by the term, but never actually read how to apply these while scoring a game. I always take game changer stats with a grain of salt.

PDM

Jun 18, 2019
NJ
Hi, my Dd is on a very good 16u travel ball team and all year the same parent has kept book and run the game changer. At first the parent seemed alright at their job, maybe a mistake here and there but nothing insane, and then all of a sudden in the middle of the season it just all went downhill. All of a sudden the scoring mistakes that used to be few and far between began to multiply at a rapid pace. These errors ranged from incorrectly counting base hits as errors to giving a batters hit to the completely wrong girl.

Some few mistakes I’ve noticed in the last few games have been: incorrectly counting bunts as fielders choices (even if there’s nobody on base for the fielders to try and get out), counting hits as errors, counting errors as hits, giving stolen bases to the wrong girls, forgetting to put pinch runners and pinch hitters in, getting the score of the game completely wrong (I don’t even know how this one happened), taking hits and giving them to the wrong girl, and giving fielding errors to the wrong girls. I would give specific examples but then I would be here all night.

I know the game changer stats don’t really matter all that much but our team goes off of the game changer stats to set the lineup. These scoring errors have caused the lineup to shift dramatically from a good lineup with girls in the right spots to a lineup that makes no sense. For example our current leadoff hitter should have the lowest batting average in the team but due to the magic of being bad at scoring hits shes managed to maintain one of the highest batting averages. Other examples of the lineup being messed up is our old leadoff who is a really good lefty slapper being moved all the way down to 9th because the scorer decides that everything the lefty hits is either an error or a fielders choice and our best all around hitter being put down at 6th.You would think the coaches would be able to tell that something is up but they don’t seem to notice anything wrong. They just accept the game changer stats as fact and don’t question the fact that GameChanger has a girl going 0/6 when she managed to get on base 4 times without any errors being made.

The new lineup our team has created is worse nearly every way to our old lineup and we’ve started to struggle more as a team because of it. Now every game it feels like the first inning is always a 3 up 3 down and then we have to wait until the 3rd inning for our best hitters to get up. Dd has really been considering telling the coaches that the parent who is doing the game changer is doing it completely wrong and messing nearly everything up (it’s not just dd multiple other teammates have expressed how annoyed they are at the game changer stats). I just need to know if telling the coaches would be taking it too far. Should we just ignore it and hope the coaches realize the old lineup was better? Or should we bring it to their attention in order to get our lineup back to the way it should be?

sorry for the long post. I’m very tired and just needed to vent this out.

(also in case you’re wondering our highest batting average should be our old leadoff the lefty slapper with a 400 but the game changer has her at a low 200)

edit: Also I just wanted to add that the parent who does the game changer is actually a very nice person. They just don’t know very much about softball and only recently got into it.
Do the coaches actually attend the games and see how the players are performing, or do they just read the stats? That was a rhetorical question. If they are worth anything they should be watching the game and taking note of what's actually happening instead of just reading. If they aren't doing that, then nothing you will say will make a difference.

Apr 11, 2016
I do GC and someone else does the book. We constantly check each other's scoring. But there are times with GC, you just can't keep up. There is also no way to go back to change certain things. GC also doesn't let you skip a play and come back to input later, you have to keep going. There are times coach subbed a player without letting us know, and having to do GC from far away (due to COVID), it is difficult to read the jersey number. I'd have to scramble to undo everything I've done and redo them in between innings.

There are also times we'd have to debate about errors. Some people think if you touched the ball and not field it, it is an error. But by definition, it is not if it is a difficult ball to field. But there are people who are adamant by it. If an outfielder just watch an easy ball drops, then they say it is not an error. The paper person and I could have an hour-long debate if we really wanted to.

You can always bring your own book next to the GC person and help them score. My SO would text me if she sees I've put a wrong player in or not count something that's an error b/c I didn't see it from my vintage point. Very helpful that way.

Feb 20, 2020
I think OP could really help out by just offering to be the spotter. And then they could have the debate in real time as the play is happening. My life when I've got a spotter is a whole lot easier than it is when I'm doing it all on my own.

Feb 24, 2021
Hi, my Dd is on a very good 16u travel ball team and all year the same parent has kept book and run the game changer. At first the parent seemed alright at their job, maybe a mistake here and there but nothing insane, and then all of a sudden in the middle of the season it just all went downhill. All of a sudden the scoring mistakes that used to be few and far between began to multiply at a rapid pace. These errors ranged from incorrectly counting base hits as errors to giving a batters hit to the completely wrong girl.

Some few mistakes I’ve noticed in the last few games have been: incorrectly counting bunts as fielders choices (even if there’s nobody on base for the fielders to try and get out), counting hits as errors, counting errors as hits, giving stolen bases to the wrong girls, forgetting to put pinch runners and pinch hitters in, getting the score of the game completely wrong (I don’t even know how this one happened), taking hits and giving them to the wrong girl, and giving fielding errors to the wrong girls. I would give specific examples but then I would be here all night.

I know the game changer stats don’t really matter all that much but our team goes off of the game changer stats to set the lineup. These scoring errors have caused the lineup to shift dramatically from a good lineup with girls in the right spots to a lineup that makes no sense. For example our current leadoff hitter should have the lowest batting average in the team but due to the magic of being bad at scoring hits shes managed to maintain one of the highest batting averages. Other examples of the lineup being messed up is our old leadoff who is a really good lefty slapper being moved all the way down to 9th because the scorer decides that everything the lefty hits is either an error or a fielders choice and our best all around hitter being put down at 6th.You would think the coaches would be able to tell that something is up but they don’t seem to notice anything wrong. They just accept the game changer stats as fact and don’t question the fact that GameChanger has a girl going 0/6 when she managed to get on base 4 times without any errors being made.

The new lineup our team has created is worse nearly every way to our old lineup and we’ve started to struggle more as a team because of it. Now every game it feels like the first inning is always a 3 up 3 down and then we have to wait until the 3rd inning for our best hitters to get up. Dd has really been considering telling the coaches that the parent who is doing the game changer is doing it completely wrong and messing nearly everything up (it’s not just dd multiple other teammates have expressed how annoyed they are at the game changer stats). I just need to know if telling the coaches would be taking it too far. Should we just ignore it and hope the coaches realize the old lineup was better? Or should we bring it to their attention in order to get our lineup back to the way it should be?

sorry for the long post. I’m very tired and just needed to vent this out.

(also in case you’re wondering our highest batting average should be our old leadoff the lefty slapper with a 400 but the game changer has her at a low 200)

edit: Also I just wanted to add that the parent who does the game changer is actually a very nice person. They just don’t know very much about softball and only recently got into it.

I'm the official scorer and stats person at the high school I help out at. We don't have that problem at our place. We have one of the assistant coaches do Game Change and actually trained one of the parents to do Game Changer as well as the paper book so if I am away for any reason, they know what to do. I also do the stats for Max Preps, which makes my stats official unless there's a question that could affect a batting average or ERA.

May 9, 2017
I get it, we had the same issue during our rec all star tournaments at the end of this season but it was much more intentional. The person keeping the book and GC was a disgruntled assistant coach and her husband was one of the active coaches for the team but she’d routinely give certain players (especially her own) a triple on overthrown balls but if another kid beat the throw she would score it as an error on defense if for example the defender looked off another base runner then made the throw. To make it worse she and her husband would put it out to the parents to justify batting order or playing time. Luckily the moron came unglued the last day basically insinuating my daughter (mine and their daughter are catchers) cost a game and how her kid WOULD be behind the plate very loudly and repeatedly 2 feet away from my daughter while she was in batting cages. Now because she did that and her husband yelled a few times he’d “take me out” they’re both banned from coaching at the park from what I hear. Like I say, just cause you think people are out to get you doesn’t mean they’re not.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Luckily the moron came unglued the last day basically insinuating my daughter (mine and their daughter are catchers) cost a game and how her kid WOULD be behind the plate very loudly and repeatedly 2 feet away from my daughter while she was in batting cages. Now because she did that and her husband yelled a few times he’d “take me out” they’re both banned from coaching at the park from what I hear. Like I say, just cause you think people are out to get you doesn’t mean they’re not.
Wow that is loco!

Jun 11, 2013
If you don't trust your eyes and rely totally on stats then the scorekeeper is an integral part of the team. The coach should spend some time going over how they want things scored. If the person just can't keep up that's more of a problem.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rathouse