Scoring Disasters: The Flaws of Letting Unknowing Parents Keep Book

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 6, 2015
if the defense clearly chooses not to make a lay on BR to stop a runner from advancing/scoring, would that be DI or FC? that would not be scored as hit, correct? or would it still be a SAC?

May 17, 2012
The new lineup our team has created is worse nearly every way to our old lineup and we’ve started to struggle more as a team because of it.

There is a myth that there is some magical batting lineup that leads to more wins. Go back and optimize every lineup from every game you have played. How many more wins did it lead too?

Feb 20, 2019
It's been said multiple times but, unless you're volunteering to take this thankless job yourself, cut the scorekeeper some slack. Trying to concentrate on the game when the coach hands you the lineups 10 seconds before the 1st pitch, while multiple games are being played, team speakers are blaring, kids are playing/screaming/crying and parents are talking to you or constantly asking you the score, is not, by any stretch of the imagination, an easy or enjoyable experience for most.

That said, keeping a book and game changer at the same time is relatively easy to do. I would always do both because GC would occasionally crash on me or I'd be asked questions by the coach that were more easily answered by the book, such as, "Where are we in the batting order?" or "What did this hitter do in their last at bat?"

A good, knowledgeable scorekeeper is almost as valuable to a team as a good pitcher.

Jan 3, 2021
It's been said multiple times but, unless you're volunteering to take this thankless job yourself, cut the scorekeeper some slack. Trying to concentrate on the game when the coach hands you the lineups 10 seconds before the 1st pitch, while multiple games are being played, team speakers are blaring, kids are playing/screaming/crying and parents are talking to you or constantly asking you the score, is not, by any stretch of the imagination, an easy or enjoyable experience for most.

That said, keeping a book and game changer at the same time is relatively easy to do. I would always do both because GC would occasionally crash on me or I'd be asked questions by the coach that were more easily answered by the book, such as, "Where are we in the batting order?" or "What did this hitter do in their last at bat?"

A good, knowledgeable scorekeeper is almost as valuable to a team as a good pitcher.
Thanks for helping me see the other side of it. I will definitely be helping out these last couple of tournaments we had.

Jan 3, 2021
if the defense clearly chooses not to make a lay on BR to stop a runner from advancing/scoring, would that be DI or FC? that would not be scored as hit, correct? or would it still be a SAC?
I mentioned in my original post that the defense did try to throw her out but the batter was safe by a good step because of her speed. I feel like if the defense fields a bunt and tries to throw the batter out and they fail then that should definitely count as a hit.

however in the scenario you’re giving I would probably score that as a hit as well just cause I tend to be more generous with things like that. However I could understand why other people might score that as a fielders choice. I only really score bunts as sacs when the runner gets thrown out.

Jun 27, 2021
Rule #1 to keeping the book is be subjective. If your player makes and Error, put an error down. If they reach on error, the appropriate stat. A pitcher should not have to carry the burden of fielding errors counted as hits/runs and a the team leading hitter should not be related to the one keeping GC if they are .50+ above the best player on the team.

Mar 10, 2020
I mentioned in my original post that the defense did try to throw her out but the batter was safe by a good step because of her speed. I feel like if the defense fields a bunt and tries to throw the batter out and they fail then that should definitely count as a hit.

however in the scenario you’re giving I would probably score that as a hit as well just cause I tend to be more generous with things like that. However I could understand why other people might score that as a fielders choice. I only really score bunts as sacs when the runner gets thrown out.
Back seat drivers always think theres a better way.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802