School ball/travel ball overlap

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I'm now in a state where school ball takes place in the spring. ... I think school ball in fall is a better fit for travel because it allows TB teams to take a long and needed break in August and then have those players to themselves from winter through summer. But that's another topic altogether.

My issue is this - My daughter is on middle school team that practices or plays a game every day Monday through Thursday, with an occasional Friday practice. Meanwhile, her travel team practices once midweek and once on the weekend. My daughter is having trouble w/ the double practices midweek. And I can't say that I blame her. IMO, it's asking a lot, maybe too much, of a kid to practice twice a day after school in the middle off the week. I'm afraid of burnout or injury. So is she.

What do you think?

I should add that the head coach is very understanding and welcoming of any concerns of this kind. If I have a conversation w/ him about this, it will go well. Just want to get others' thoughts on it. I'm used to fall school ball, when many travel teams give way to school ball entirely. I'm never experienced this dilemma. I'm an assistant coach on this team, fwiw.

I'm now in a state where school ball takes place in the spring. ... I think school ball in fall is a better fit for travel because it allows TB teams to take a long and needed break in August and then have those players to themselves from winter through summer. But that's another topic altogether.

My issue is this - My daughter is on middle school team that practices or plays a game every day Monday through Thursday, with an occasional Friday practice. Meanwhile, her travel team practices once midweek and once on the weekend. My daughter is having trouble w/ the double practices midweek. And I can't say that I blame her. IMO, it's asking a lot, maybe too much, of a kid to practice twice a day after school in the middle off the week. I'm afraid of burnout or injury. So is she.

What do you think?

I should add that the head coach is very understanding and welcoming of any concerns of this kind. If I have a conversation w/ him about this, it will go well. Just want to get others' thoughts on it. I'm used to fall school ball, when many travel teams give way to school ball entirely. I'm never experienced this dilemma. I'm an assistant coach on this team, fwiw.

Well we solved that problem real quick ....we didn't play middle school ball ....neither of my kids did....most time there not that competitive anyway and our middle school coach told the girls that you couldn't attend your travel practices only his so we said forget it....

Dec 7, 2011
I love the way we have it right now.

HS has DD all week but the sole TB practice is Sunday and they do mostly batting (which HS has the biggest shortcoming with)

May 7, 2008
Tucson
In IL. we couldn't practice with another team, if we were on the school team, at the time. Anyway, school comes first. I would tell the TB coach that.

Sep 18, 2011

What do you think?

I think in season school sports take precedence. DD's travel team shuts down completely in the Spring for this very reason. Talk to the travel coach. He/she should allow your daughter to skip the mid week travel practice.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Once high school starts there is no overlapping. Tb coaches are to have zero contact with club players during the hs season. If caught, the player is removed from the hs team and the hs team will take an automatic forfeit for every game the tb player played in.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Thanks for the quick and good feedback.

Two points -

- It's not against middle school rules here to play/practice travel ball during school season. Maybe it should be, but we don't have that safeguard.
- These two midweek practices don't overlap, so it's possible to attend both. One is 3:30-5, the other 6-7:30.

The TB coach would agree that school ball comes first. If we attend one or the other, it definitely will be the school ball practice.

So I guess the question is whether TB players should be expected to attend two practices in one day, one school one travel? In the middle of the week?

Sep 18, 2011
-
So I guess the question is whether TB players should be expected to attend two practices in one day, one school one travel? In the middle of the week?

In my opinion, two in one day is too much. She needs time to recover, do her homework, etc. I wouldn't allow it. Seems to me that your DD is all but asking you for a break. That's one busy schedule.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
In my opinion, two in one day is too much. She needs time to recover, do her homework, etc. I wouldn't allow it. Seems to me that your DD is all but asking you for a break. That's one busy schedule.

Thanks. I need to hear that. She actually went out with me on Sunday (a rare off day) to hit for 30 minutes because she had a game the next day and she was horrified by how her swing looked on video from the previous game. So it's not like she doesn't want to play softball. It's just that when she says she's had enough, she's had enough.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NightOwl