School ball and not playing for attending a funeral

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 22, 2011
First, sorry for your loss. If I was coaching I may have talked to your DD, explain that I didn't feel I could start her, but would get her in after 2 or 3 innings. Is there a written policy that differentiates between excused and unexcused absences?

It's tough when you lose a loved and then have something that is one of the things that brings her joy taken away from her for one game.

Hopefully your DD starts the next games and this is unfortunate lesson that some people are stubborn and unfair at times.

Aug 18, 2018
First, sorry for your loss. If I was coaching I may have talked to your DD, explain that I didn't feel I could start her, but would get her in after 2 or 3 innings. Is there a written policy that differentiates between excused and unexcused absences?

It's tough when you lose a loved and then have something that is one of the things that brings her joy taken away from her for one game.

Hopefully your DD starts the next games and this is unfortunate lesson that some people are stubborn and unfair at times.
Thank you. And when DD did approach coach to explain absence she did say she would not start but would get subbed in. That was until lineup called out and she was omitted and when asked it was oh I decided you were not playing.
And for the record I could get behind not starting (and DD agrees also) and then get subbed in.

Unfortunately team lost and several girls who were impact players were not in game (sick or return from trip and absent day prior).
I can imagine what these girls all say at school tomorrow.

Sent from my LE2115 using Tapatalk

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Just curious and wanted to ask those with more knowledge than me. DD missed practice yesterday, school absence for a close family member funeral. Game today and she is sitting the whole game.

I get not playing girls that blow off a practice before a game but in this situation it seems a bit heartless to not even sub her in.

And we did message the coach ahead of time to make her aware of situation.

Thoughts?

Ego, although we won a tournament last weekend and only the kids who are always there showed up for hitting and pitching practice.

Still that is heartless.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
If it's a team rule, it's a team rule.

That's too much for me though. If the pros can miss a game for a death in the family, a high school kid certainly can. (Of course, as a player, I'd probably want to go to my practice but I'm a crazy person)

Jun 8, 2016
Your kid made the right decision (it really isn't a decision tbh)..that is what matters.

Jul 5, 2016
Just curious and wanted to ask those with more knowledge than me. DD missed practice yesterday, school absence for a close family member funeral. Game today and she is sitting the whole game.

I get not playing girls that blow off a practice before a game but in this situation it seems a bit heartless to not even sub her in.

And we did message the coach ahead of time to make her aware of situation.

Thoughts?

Unless there is more to this story than is presented here, that coach should receive a written reprimand from the athletic director.

Any coach who puts a game ahead of a funeral for a family member has seriously misplaced priorities.

Sep 28, 2021
Tough situation. As a teacher I can tell you that these days kids miss more days of school than should be allowed. Kids make up excuses just to get away with it, yes even funerals. It hurts the honest ones, and creates an atmosphere that teachers and coaches cant trust any of them. You said

" several girls who were impact players were not in game (sick or return from trip and absent day prior).
I can imagine what these girls all say at school tomorrow"

sounds as if this coach might have an issue getting players to show up? Students should be allowed funerals and Dr.s appointments but sadly they get abused.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Unfortunately team lost and several girls who were impact players were not in game (sick or return from trip and absent day prior).
Do believe that is part of this entire story. And the outcome of it.

I can imagine what these girls all say at school tomorrow.

They say a lot of things regardless of what happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee