Safety Base/Running Lane in NCAA

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 11, 2013
If you have to teams playing at the same time in any sport collisions will happen. In most cases there isn't much you can do. However, in this one it's an easy fairly cheap solution that has shown to work most of the time.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Well they came up with a ball that flies like a rocket...injuries from being pummeled by it increased noticeably and this has gone on for many years with no stipulation about players mandatorily have to wear face masks.
Safety base really???

Teach Runners to run to step on the outside portion of the bag that will at least give a little room to avoid Collision.

Possibly consider the defensive player will have to have some stipulations like the catcher does obstruction at the plate. That's a reminder
They did not put a safety plate behind home plate they just instructed the defensive player where they are not supposed to go.
(Yes I understand there's a lot more tag plays at the plate, still is an example of stipulated where the players on the field are allowed to be or not . And enforce it)

( yes I understand changing adding the safety base could be an easy fix...but that will limit some but not all collisions. Look what they have done in the past as it applies to injury...nada much. For example it's not even mandatory to have a face guard on a batting helmet)

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2013
Well they came up with a ball that flies like a rocket...injuries from being pummeled by it increased noticeably and this has gone on for many years with no stipulation about players mandatorily have to wear face masks.
Safety base really???

Teach Runners to run to step on the outside portion of the bag that will at least give a little room to avoid Collision.

Possibly consider the defensive player will have to have some stipulations like the catcher does obstruction at the plate. That's a reminder
They did not put a safety plate behind home plate they just instructed the defensive player where they are not supposed to go.
(Yes I understand there's a lot more tag plays at the plate, still is an example of stipulated where the players on the field are allowed to be or not . And enforce it)

( yes I understand changing adding the safety base could be an easy fix...but that will limit some but not all collisions. Look what they have done in the past as it applies to injury...nada much. For example it's not even mandatory to have a face guard on a batting helmet)
And what is the problem with applying an "easy and inexpensive" fix to limit SOME collisions? I don't see the downside. Why argue against a safety bag if it will limit some issues? My daughter plays 1B - yes she has been in some collisions even with a safety bag - and yes I do think some were very much intentional - however I can count on one hand how many collisions she has had in her 8+ years of playing 1B. If there was no safety bag for a batter to run to I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that there would be way more collisions. A cheap and easy fix is absolutely a no brainer.

FYI they have no safety bag in baseball because there are not as many close plays with 90 ft bases and virtually no slappers. (I didn't say none so don't break out the baseball slapping video - I've seen it).

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
And what is the problem with applying an "easy and inexpensive" fix to limit SOME collisions? I don't see the downside. Why argue against a safety bag if it will limit some issues? My daughter plays 1B - yes she has been in some collisions even with a safety bag - and yes I do think some were very much intentional - however I can count on one hand how many collisions she has had in her 8+ years of playing 1B. If there was no safety bag for a batter to run to I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that there would be way more collisions. A cheap and easy fix is absolutely a no brainer.

FYI they have no safety bag in baseball because there are not as many close plays with 90 ft bases and virtually no slappers. (I didn't say none so don't break out the baseball slapping video - I've seen it).
Hey I didn't say they shouldn't add a safety base ... was pointing out what they haven't done what could be an easy solution to every single player Could Be In Harm's Way at the plate far more opportunities to get pummeled by a pitch then there would be collisions....

( which by the way the rules still is stand in the box and get hit by the pitch and you get first base pitch... don't have to try and move, get first base. that is almost the silliest rule in the world because it says stand there and get hurt and we will reward you)

You may not like the example I provided but it is a factual one.

Facts being there are plenty of other places where players are getting injured that have been left without adjustment. Hope you got that point.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2013
Why not have two home plates to avoid all collisions.

Yes I have seen that in action.
Hey I didn't say they shouldn't add a safety base ... was pointing out what they haven't done what could be an easy solution to every single player Could Be In Harm's Way at the plate far more opportunities to get pummeled by a pitch then there would be collisions....

( which by the way the rules still is stand in the box and get hit by the pitch and you get first base pitch... don't have to try and move, get first base. that is almost the silliest rule in the world because it says stand there and get hurt and we will reward you)

You may not like the example I provided but it is a factual one.

Facts being there are plenty of other places where players are getting injured that have been left without adjustment. Hope you got that point.
Sure there are collisions at home plate, however, 1) there are also much more stringent rules that have been put in place regarding obstruction which the NCAA rules committee intended to limit such collisions - especially at home plate and 2) the stationary player/catcher is wearing much more protective gear than 1B. While the catcher works very hard and has to receive throws to make tags the 1B is also working hard to receive throws - often rushed and not perfect and they are doing it without the benefit of protective gear against a player also running full speed.

Sorry - this is a no brainer to me and obviously many college coaches as well.

Dec 11, 2010

I’m in favor of a safety bag. Some contact is truly inadvertent. Some contact is intentional, dirty bird coaches and players stepping on foot of first baseman who is stretched and has foot against the bag not on the bag. I’ll look for that video next.

Jul 14, 2018
Update:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28