Safety Base/Running Lane in NCAA

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 12, 2014
But that's not what the runner's lane is for. Are you advocating that we completely change the purpose of the runner's lane? It sounds like you're saying they're not enforcing the rule as written, but nothing in the rule says runner's have to run in that lane at all times.

I think many of the collisions we see would be avoided if the rule was enforced as written, but I would be happy to see the rule changed to make running in fair territory illegal within the length of the runner's lane. I think this would make it easier for umpires to enforce, keep coaches from abusing the rule, and lower the risk of collision injuries to fielders while not hampering the runner.

Feb 15, 2017
I think many of the collisions we see would be avoided if the rule was enforced as written, but I would be happy to see the rule changed to make running in fair territory illegal within the length of the runner's lane. I think this would make it easier for umpires to enforce, keep coaches from abusing the rule, and lower the risk of collision injuries to fielders while not hampering the runner.
Watched a whole college tournament in Clearwater without one collision, wonder why?

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Dec 15, 2018
CT
Well, I'd be happy if the rule was more uniformly enforced. But, yes, in a perfect world, I am advocating a rule change - run in the lane or you're out. Otherwise, what is the point of the lane?

From a rules interpretation standpoint, the point of the runner’s lane is to define the area within which the batter-runner is not at risk of interfering with a fielder taking a throw.

Feb 12, 2014
Because softball players aren't capable of running like baseball players? Sexists much?

You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. Fully support women's baseball. But, this is actually a forum about fastpitch softball. I guess that fact might have escaped you. Similarities to be sure between the two but they are not the same and shouldn't be the same. That's not sexist - that's reality.

Feb 12, 2014
Watched a whole college tournament in Clearwater without one collision, wonder why?

You obviously didn't watch the whole tournament. There was at least one collision (in which the B/R was correctly called for interference) that may have ended that girls season. Does anyone have an update on that young lady from UCLA?

While that tournament was going on in Clearwater, I saw 3 or 4 other collisions at other locations. I'm willing to admit it doesn't happen on every play, but the safety base would eliminate nearly all of them and is such a simple solution that is used at all other levels of the game. Why won't the NCAA use it to protect athletes?

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
I agree on the safety bag, but don't quite see what the running lane has to do with a collision. "Legit" collisions happen when the throw carries the fielder into the path of the runner. In the running lane or not, a runner colliding with a 1B taking a throw on the field side of the bag is something that should result in an ejection.

Feb 12, 2014
I agree on the safety bag, but don't quite see what the running lane has to do with a collision. "Legit" collisions happen when the throw carries the fielder into the path of the runner. In the running lane or not, a runner colliding with a 1B taking a throw on the field side of the bag is something that should result in an ejection.

Just my opinion here, but I see many of these collisions happen when the runner is coming down in fair territory. The Bailey Dowling injury was an example from last year. The girl who was hurt from UCLA (who was actually the runner) in St. Pete a couple of weeks ago was an example.

Again, they are coming down the line with a 60 foot head of steam at a stationary fielder who is trying to catch a throw. I'm all for ejecting people in this scenario.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28