Running over the catcher

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Yes a lot of things have changed. Mostly for the better. And not being able to blow up the catcher is one of the changes for the better IMO.
Ps that Runner got thrown over my back. As I stood up after the play... she was lying on her back in the dirt.

Or rather now,
Rules changed across the whole infield where runners can't 'purposely' slide and take out Defenders.
Which is really the point of
runners not being able to bulldoze the defense anywhere on the field!.
Catchers are just more limited on where they can go to get the ball. All Defenders are included in the standard.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Ps that Runner got thrown over my back. As I stood up after the play... she was lying on her back in the dirt.

Or rather now,
Rules changed across the whole infield where runners can't 'purposely' slide and take out Defenders.
Which is really the point of
runners not being able to bulldoze the defense anywhere on the field!.
Catchers are just more limited on where they can go to get the ball. All Defenders are included in the standard.
Those home plate collisions made for fantastic TV, except when unnecessary injuries occurred. It really should have changed in MLB when Pete Rose change the course of Ray Fosse's career but it took Buster Posey losing a season for it to actually happen. Pretty sure Pete Rose taking out Bud Harraelson at SS in the 73 playoffs was when they looked at ending barrel rolls in to 2B to break up the DP though I think it took a while to actually be implemented.

Not as impressing as your image but do fondly recall getting blown up at catcher in little league in the 70s where the guy bowled me over but when flying over home plate with out touching in and I was able to go tag him out. Good times. But I'm glad it's no longer generally allowed at any level of play in baseball or softball.

Mar 1, 2013
What choice does the runner have there? There are a lot of choices but the choice to run into the catcher (with or without the ball) is not one of them.

As described, there was a pause in the action (runner stopped) and then the runner chose to run into the catcher. Out and ejected every time. As described.

I had a similar play where had a bang bang force at home. Catcher was at the front of the plate they way they are coached to do. Caught the ball for the out. Runner coming from third gave the hip check on the way past. She sat the rest is the game (14u community - her dad was a coach and a real piece of work). When coach dad asked “what she’s supposed to do” I said, “not that”.

Would like to see how the op play actually went down though. Everyone remembers plays differently depending on which team you are on.

Jul 13, 2014
Nashville, TN
What choice does the runner have there? There are a lot of choices but the choice to run into the catcher (with or without the ball) is not one of them.

As described, there was a pause in the action (runner stopped) and then the runner chose to run into the catcher. Out and ejected every time. As described.

I had a similar play where had a bang bang force at home. Catcher was at the front of the plate they way they are coached to do. Caught the ball for the out. Runner coming from third gave the hip check on the way past. She sat the rest is the game (14u community - her dad was a coach and a real piece of work). When coach dad asked “what she’s supposed to do” I said, “not that”.

Would like to see how the op play actually went down though. Everyone remembers plays differently depending on which team you are on.
I couldn't find the video, but here is a post that has pictures of the play in question. Pretty class-less (IMO) commentary by player's family...

Jun 8, 2016
Some kids are so clumsy that the catcher would be better off if the kid did try and run her over because they would probably miss..

May 29, 2015
@eddieq for the win again.

If you find yourself trying to defend the actions of your player and the only thing you have in your arsenal is "What is she supposed to do?" ... Odds are you need to be ejected along with the player.

Sometimes you are just dead in the water. You are out. The only thing to do is admit somebody made a mistake (you or your coach) and give yourself up. If the catcher (or other fielder) is standing there with the ball waiting on you ... it is that moment.

As an umpire, you typically see this coming. What you are watching for in the moments leading up to the tag are the actions and faces of both players. You can tell if the play is going to be clean or trouble.

May 27, 2022
R1 couldn't slide that far from home plate with the catcher in the base path. R1 could have tried juking left or right or jumping over the catcher too. R1 was stuck. The other question is what is the catcher's responsibility? Should the catcher have side stepped and swiped a tag to avoid the collision? Was there enough time for the catcher to make this move?

Are you kidding? If the SS fields the ball in the base bath before the runner gets there should they just expect to be trucked by the runner anyway? If a runner is caught in a pickle, should they just run over/into the defender? I do not understand why some people think that catchers are fair game in this type of situation.

The base path is approximately one arm reach - if the catcher decides to stand to the side of the baseline - technically the runner would be able to avoid the tag while not being out of the base path.

How was R1 stuck? Looking at the pictures, she was running vertically 3 feet from home plate - she had no intention of trying to slide. Judging her size, she probably isn't athletic enough to slide and just gets by by bowling over people. And judging by the comments on facebook (parent?) they applaud her for it.

May 16, 2012
Missouri
R1 couldn't slide that far from home plate with the catcher in the base path. R1 could have tried juking left or right or jumping over the catcher too. R1 was stuck. The other question is what is the catcher's responsibility? Should the catcher have side stepped and swiped a tag to avoid the collision? Was there enough time for the catcher to make this move?
2 things:
1. Can't jump over the catcher, by rule. Unless the catcher is laying prone on the ground.
2. The catchers only responsibility is to tag the runner, not move and try a swipe tag, etc

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RunnerOn2