running lane violation

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 12, 2013
im still not clear on this...a bunt in front of home plate, F2, trying to avoid hitting the batter/runner, loops the ball over the runner (who is outside the lane) . the throw is out of reach of the player covering 1st and the ball goes into right field.

is this a running lane violation?

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
No.

For there to be interference, the throw must have had some reasonable chance of actually retiring the runner. That is, it needs to be a "quality throw". A quality throw would be one directed at the fielder receiving it, in such proximity that there is a reasonable chance it could have been caught.

If the ball is airmailed into right field, all you have is a bad throw by the catcher. If this were not the rule, then if I'm a catcher everytime there's a play to first I'm just going to sail the ball into right field for the out!

(As a side note, just to illustrate that different sanctioning bodies can sometimes interpret the exact same play differently, if you are playing high school baseball they do have an interpretation where the umpire could rule the runner out if judged that the runner's presence out of the lane induced the bad throw. To the best of my knowledge, they are the only game to rule it that way.)

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
If the base runner has both feet in the running lane, which is outside the foul line and starts half way down the first base line, there is no interfernce regardless of where the throw is located.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
If the base runner has both feet in the running lane, which is outside the foul line and starts half way down the first base line, there is no interfernce regardless of where the throw is located.

Just a note: People need to remember this has nothing to do with the throw, but the ability of the defender to receive the ball at 1B.

I am curious too, I thought the rule was the runner could be out of the lane as long as they are not between the thrower and receiver. Hence the point of the running lane if the ball is fielded fair and the runner is in foul territory then the thrower is given a clear lane to throw and interference can't be called, but I freely admit I am not sure on this and could use some help too.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
I am curious too, I thought the rule was the runner could be out of the lane as long as they are not between the thrower and receiver. Hence the point of the running lane if the ball is fielded fair and the runner is in foul territory then the thrower is given a clear lane to throw and interference can't be called, but I freely admit I am not sure on this and could use some help too.

A runner or batter runner can take any path they choose, there is NO restriction on where the can go in the field of play. What they can NOT do is run more than 3' outside their base path to avoid a tag and can NOT interfere with a defender's ability to receive a throw at 1B. The running lane is there to provide protection for the BR, say a "safe haven" of sorts in which they can advance without fear of becoming the target for an easy INT call.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia

A base runner cannot be called for interference if both feet are inside the running lane. If they are outside the running lane, then it is a judgement call by the home plate umpire if the base runner interferred with the fielders ability to make the play.

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
A base runner cannot be called for interference if both feet are inside the running lane.

Not true on several counts.

There are plenty of ways a batter-runner could commit an act of interference while both feet are in the running lane. She could intentionally reach out and hit the fielder taking the throw. She could intentionally do something like swat at the ball to contact it.

Now, if you really meant, "She can't be called out for preventing the fielder from receiving the throw if her feet are in the running and the throw hits her"...you're getting warmer.

While many rule sets interpret being in the running lane as having both feet in, or partially inside of the lane, even that is not an absolute. Some rule sets consider where the ball hit the runner, and if that body part is over the lane or not, even if both feet are inside the lane.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
First, this situation most often is the result of a catcher and 1st baseman not being taught proper technique. The 1st baseman and catcher should have a system of calling out inside (infield side) or outside (foul territory) and then the throw can be fielded regardless of what the runner does. Also, I have taught my catchers the proper footwork and find that few catchers are ever taught to drive back toward the circle with the left leg gaining an angle on 1st or to explode off of the right foot to clear into foul territory to give an angle. Finally, and this won't be popular. I also have taught my catcher to scream, "she's in play" and then throw the ball on a line at 1st. Naturally, the ball will hit the runner. In this case, and I have to say every time I have witnessed it, the runner has been called out. Keep in mind that most of you are playing with a safety base which makes this even easier to call. JMHO!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478