Runner tagging on sacrifice fly

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 18, 2010
I noticed on this sacrifice fly the runner tags, and turns her back to the catch, then waits for Gasso to verbally give her the go. I can see the advantage of the runner being in a sprinter position poised ready to take off.

Is is pretty common for the base coach to watch the play while the runner focuses down the line? This looked like it could have been a much closer play than it turned out.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
IDK but tagging up is one of my pet peeves. I absolutely hate when runners get 5 or 10 feet off the bag then goes back and tags up. My rant of the day!

Mar 26, 2013
We had a HS coach that made the girls turn their backs to the field while waiting for the coach's signal. Problem was coach tended to signal a little late and then there's a reaction delay by the runner. Base coaches need to calibrate their signals so runners are going on time instead of late.

Added: Base coaches should also be telling runners whether to come back (e.g. deep fly where runner can advance if caught) or wait (e.g. shallow fly where runner can only advance if dropped and therefore being off base is helpful).

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
This is a situation where the coach is exercising control but adding zero value. The fewer people involved in this process the better as it is certainly is not faster given the communication lag. If a player struggles with this skill in college maybe a career in the cosmetic arts should be considered?

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
I prefer the player to turn and watch the catch, as I see it being quicker. I know I would want to if I were playing.

Not sure how that would be true in this case. Runner would be turned pretty far to look over her left shoulder when she starts running, instead of facing home with the coach watching for her.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
I've seen it done both ways at every level. My preference is for my players to go when the ball is touched, rather than wait for my signal.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
This is a situation where the coach is exercising control but adding zero value. The fewer people involved in this process the better as it is certainly is not faster given the communication lag. If a player struggles with this skill in college maybe a career in the cosmetic arts should be considered?

True story - my DD stopped playing softball after her freshman year in HS. She's finishing her junior year now and will have her PA Cosmotology licence by the end of this school year. She was actually very good at tagging up. ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
keatonskidmore