Runner scoring after another runner missed the plate

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 12, 2014
Someone posted this in another forum I read. What would the ruling be in softball?

I am sitting in the stands watching a very competitive Little League game when the following occurred: Two runners are heading for home. The trail runner is gaining on the lead runner. When they reach the plate, the lead runner misses the plate while the trail runner (15-feet behind him) touches the plate. The first child returned to touch the plate and the plate umpire allowed it, then all hell broke loose!

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Someone posted this in another forum I read. What would the ruling be in softball?

I am sitting in the stands watching a very competitive Little League game when the following occurred: Two runners are heading for home. The trail runner is gaining on the lead runner. When they reach the plate, the lead runner misses the plate while the trail runner (15-feet behind him) touches the plate. The first child returned to touch the plate and the plate umpire allowed it, then all hell broke loose!
Depends on the number of outs, and if an appeal is made.... Below is USSSA rules because I have them open, but it is much the same with different wording in other sanctions.

(USSSA 8.6.3.D):
"When a runner passes a base, the runner is considered to have touched the base for purposes of awarded bases."

In all cases a base is assumed to be touched UNLESS there is an appeal (live or dead). So if there is no appeal, there is no call to be made. In this case, there is going to be someone questioning of this call, so we safely call it an appeal. But to be clear, if no one from the defensive team or coaching staff says nothing, there is no call. A runner missing a base CANNOT be called by the umpire without an appeal

(USSSA 8.6.3.C)
"Any runner who misses a base while advancing may not return to touch the missed base if a following runner has scored."

So, this means the runner who missed home, is NOT entitled to touch home to make up for missing the base.
So if there is an appeal - the runner who missed the base is OUT and their run does not score.

(USSSA 8.6.3.H)
"Failure of a PRECEDING runner to touch a base or to legally tag up on a caught fly ball, and who is declared out, does not affect the status of a SUCCEEDING runner who touches bases in proper order. If the failure to touch a base in regular order or to legally tag up on a caught fly ball is the third out of the inning, no SUCCEEDING runner may score a run."

So if the runner who missed home is called out on appeal, and it is the first or second out, the following runner legally touched home, so his run scores.
If the runner who missed home is called out on appeal, it is the third out, then the run would not score.

Jul 27, 2021
Would be interesting to see the other thread and too hear the outcome of "hell breaking loose ".

Aug 12, 2014
Here's the follow up on the incident:

Apparently they did not get it right. This was a playoff game. The game was appealed and the appeal was upheld. Again, I know the National High School Federation rule is, as I’ve stated above. Little League rules can be rather quirky so I haven’t heard the actual ruling/reasoning, but they are replaying the remainder of the game from the point of controversy.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Same in NCAA

7.1.4.2: A runner may not return to touch a missed base if a following runner has scored.

If it was the third out, then the following runner would not be allowed.

NOTE: It is an appeal play for the runner.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FPVQ23