Runner out of baseline avoiding fielder

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 25, 2020
This might be an easy one but... Play at 2:40ish is this the right call? Runner avoids the fielder(in act of fielding)called out.

Thanks in advance.

Nov 18, 2015
Unless the announcer is correct, and there’s an NCAA rule that says you can’t swerve to the left - seems like a blown call.

Was she supposed to run the fielder over? She wasn’t avoiding the tag, she was avoiding contact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
I think it was a good call, she ran out of the running lane.

She did, but the fielder was blocking (part of) the running lane before she had the ball. Since the fielder wouldn't be guilty of obstruction because she was in the process of fielding the ball, I don't know that the runner had a lot of choice.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
Running lane has no bearing on this play, as Gags pointed out, it has to do with interfering with a thrown ball. The BR had to avoid the fielder or be called out for interference. The base path is established at the time the tag is attempted, looking at the slow-mo, there never really is a tag attempt, but even it there were, the BR, IMO never moves more than 3 feet from a line connecting where she was at the time of the attempted tag to the base. The bit about the BR having to go towards the outside rather than the inside is why ou should never earn your rules from a sports announcer. I think this is one umpire and crew who will have some 'splainen to do to the supervisor......

Jun 22, 2008
I think it was a good call, she ran out of the running lane.

The running lane has absolutely nothing to do with this play, the running lane only applies to throws to first base. I do not agree with this call in the slightest, the fielder was fielding a batted ball and the runner had every right to run where they did to avoid the fielder and not interfere. The fielder was still in the act of fielding the ball when the runner was already beside her, she did not deviate any further from where she was when the tag attempt was made. Again, I do not agree with this call as the rules do allow the runner to deviate around a fielder to avoid interfering.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
The fielder was still in the act of fielding the ball when the runner was already beside her, she did not deviate any further from where she was when the tag attempt was made.

Having been schooled by you before on this subject, that's exactly what I saw. I'm not sure any tag attempt was even made.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
The bit about the BR having to go towards the outside rather than the inside is why you should never learn your rules from a sports announcer.

After correcting a couple of typos...truer words were never written here!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802