Runner interference or clean

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 31, 2011
You're damn right i tell my DD to avoid a collision, maybe you don't mind your DD getting her skull cracked by a runners helmet, (hey, she got the interference call!) I'll be happy my DD goes home in one piece.
Hey man, I wasn't trying to get personal here. But since you did, my oldest DD was a very athletic SS that had no problem knocking a baserunner on her butt that interfered with a ground ball. Fielders have a right to the ball. So, don't go throwing "my DD" in the mix. I never worried about getting her "skull cracked". My infielders get down for a groundball so head-to-head contact won't happen. I'm just saying that sometimes softball isn't as clear cut in this play as you may like. I am not that coach that berates a player over anything let alone a messed up interference call. So, don't stereotype coaches that understand sometimes contact is necessary. Just like when a kid is sliding home and the catcher sets up in the base path. Sure, a player can go around the catcher, but the runner owns the path to the base unobstructed. Sorry, sometimes there is contact in softball.

May 10, 2021
Players on the infield need to be coached to charge the ball and make the play. If you player stays back and pulls up I am not giving an interference call based on the fact that there MIGHT be contact. How far are we going with this? Well gee I thought I was gonna get trucked so I moved out of the way of the ball...can you please call interference now?

No one wants contact or injury but pulling up and begging for "hinderance" is an abomination IMO. PLAY THE BALL. Guess I am too old and in the minority here. :)

Jan 31, 2011
Players on the infield need to be coached to charge the ball and make the play. If you player stays back and pulls up I am not giving an interference call based on the fact that there MIGHT be contact. How far are we going with this? Well gee I thought I was gonna get trucked so I moved out of the way of the ball...can you please call interference now?

No one wants contact or injury but pulling up and begging for "hinderance" is an abomination IMO. PLAY THE BALL. Guess I am too old and in the minority here. :)
Its part of the game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802