runner hit with batted ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 1, 2015
I would make the argument it's considered a fielder's choice since the batter didn't cleanly reach first base based on their hit. They got there because of the issue with a runner at another base.

Feb 6, 2020
From your description, the correct call was made. Speaking USA (as that is the sanction I call), Rule 8.7.K
The runner is out..
"When a runner is struck with a fair untouched batted ball while not in contact with a base and before it passes an infielder, excluding the pitcher, or if it passes an infielder and another fielder has an opportunity to make an out."

So you have the out. Read the effect for what to do with the batter-runner
Effect:
1. The ball is dead
2. The runner is out
3. The batter-runner is awarded first base
4. Runners must return to the last base touched at the time of the interference.

Without access to their rulebooks (or searching for them), I'm going by memory to say that all of the other sanctions treat this situation the same way. If not, someone will be along to correct me :)
What is the call if the runner was in contact with the base? Does this rule vary between rule sets?
(Never mind, I think I was getting my baseball rules mixed with my softball and they differ in this case I believe)

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2013
What is the call if the runner was in contact with the base? Does this rule vary between rule sets?
(Never mind, I think I was getting my baseball rules mixed with my softball and they differ in this case I believe)
USA Softball - If the contact it deemed intentional, dead ball, out. If the contact was deemed unintentional, play on.

Jul 22, 2015
USA Softball - If the contact it deemed intentional, dead ball, out. If the contact was deemed unintentional, play on.
Depends on where the fielder is also (at least I think it is also in USA rules, I know it is in NFHS). Fielder in front of runner=live ball. Fielder behind runner =dead ball and batter on 1B

Mar 1, 2013
Depends on where the fielder is also (at least I think it is also in USA rules, I know it is in NFHS). Fielder in front of runner=live ball. Fielder behind runner =dead ball and batter on 1B
True in USA. You still have the "if it hasn't passed a fielder other than the pitcher" involved in determining dead/live ball so if the infield is playing back and the ball strikes a runner in contact with the base before it has passed a fielder other than the pitcher, and the contact was ruled unintentional, you may have a dead ball situation, no out, place B/R at first, advance anyone forced. See USA R/S 44.

Honestly, I don't know if you'd see this in the fast pitch game. I see it in slow pitch sometimes because of where the fielders play and the larger field dimensions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28