Rookie Ump

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 25, 2022
Scenario: Weak infield fly is hit, pitcher does not catch it, Batter makes to first before it roles out of infield. Batter is safe at first. Not a foul ball, right?

Feb 13, 2021
MI
P may not have caught the ball but was it touched before going into foul territory? When the B gets to 1b has no bearing on fair/foul. If it was touched before going foul then it is a fair ball, if it was not and it went foul before going beyond 1B or 3B then it is a foul ball

(EDIT) And welcome to DFP!!

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Ball was not touched, batter made it to first before it rolled out. So it is still a foul?
As Ed said, when the batter reaches first is irrelevant. All that matters is if the ball was touched (and if it passed first/third).

Also "rolled out" is a bit confusing. At first I thought you were saying to the outfield. It's important to use the terms properly as an umpire. You'll find it's a lot easier to deal with coaches when they have questions if you have the terms down.

Aug 25, 2019
Scenario: Weak infield fly is hit, pitcher does not catch it, Batter makes to first before it roles out of infield. Batter is safe at first. Not a foul ball, right?
Oh, and welcome to the DFP!.....If you are a new umpire, we have some really good ones here to give you lots of info. Don't be afraid to post rule questions, I've asked plenty here and they definitely helped me in my umpiring.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
If your confused then I have another one for you, it can start foul before 1st or 3rd and if comes back fair before reaching, passing, hitting the base or fielded when it comes back into fair territory before the bag.

As to the question,

I remember one game. Runners on 2nd and third. Hitter hits a high pop up to pitcher toward first base line, she whiffed the catch. Close to touching it. Everyone starts yelling, cheering as the ball hits the ground and starts rolling toward the first base foul line about half way down the line. The pitcher is trying to chase the ball down but it rolls 8 ft before passing the foul line. It rolls about another 5 ft foul before the pitcher touched the ball and I call foul ball. Meanwhile the base runners, fans on both sides and both teams never realized it was just a foul ball. They thought everything was live, run, score.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2013
I think Ed answered the quest perfectly. Great job on your part asking the question. This is a great place to ask. The umpires really know what they are talking about and you'll learn a lot from them.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
If your confused then I have another one for you, it can start foul before 1st or 3rd and if comes back fair before reaching, passing, hitting the base or fielded when it comes back into fair territory before the bag.

I had a lefty 10u girl a few years ago who got 2 or 3 hits a season doing this. She has autism and while she could play and knew what to do, she wasn't particularly skilled. She had a very strange swing, but fairly good hand-eye coordination. There were a number of times she would hit the ball with weird spin. It would go foul on the third base side, hit the ground, and immediately bound back into fair territory.

Jan 22, 2011
Lost the 3rd/4th place game in 10u rec because of this. Ball hit foul about 8 feet in front of 1B, bounced 90 degrees into fair territory in front of the 1B. 1B thought it was a foul ball and didn't tag 1B, which she had plenty of time to do.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802