Riseball - ball rotation axis

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019

Escobedo’s bullet spin.

(Not to derail this thread,
However need to comment)

That video exposes *Mobility limitation in the catcher putting a knee down instead of moving body to the ball.
Twist and reach is limited range.
Then terrible position to try and transition to throw from.
Yucky glove grasping at a pitch trailing behind...body twisting spinning moving backwards...knee down dragging behind...

Especially notable when there are mechanics that can be used that are far more efficient!!!
1. Getting to the ball with more defensive range.
2. To be set up better.
3. To Transition into a throw if needed/wanted.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2015
Is this a spin we should teach? This is the spin that is used by Fouts, Escobedo, early Abbott, Finch and many others.
If they throw extremely hard, like all those mentioned, sure. If they throw close to human speed (like Osterman), not only correct spin, but correct spin axis becomes much more important.

Oct 26, 2019
(Not to derail this thread,
However need to comment)

That video exposes *Mobility limitation in the catcher putting a knee down instead of moving body to the ball.
Twist and reach is limited range.
Then terrible position to try and transition to throw from.
Yucky glove grasping at a pitch trailing behind...body twisting spinning moving backwards...knee down dragging behind...

Especially notable when there are mechanics that can be used that are far more efficient!!!
1. Getting to the ball with more defensive range.
2. To be set up better.
3. To Transition into a throw if needed/wanted.
Despite the fact that lots of folks don’t like it - One knee down setup is being taught at the highest levels of both baseball and softball now. I think we are heading towards it being the norm. Most catchers don’t stay in it exclusively, but when they feel the situation warrants it. The analytics have proven it is superior for receiving and (depending on the individuals skills) there is little to no loss in throwing ability. Personally, always preferred this setup myself haha.

Attachments

• FF9DB206-FE71-4E20-96F9-AA1FE949D747.jpeg
    FF9DB206-FE71-4E20-96F9-AA1FE949D747.jpeg
    565.1 KB · Views: 21
May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
The tradeoff between speed and spin is something that each pitcher will have to decide. Obviously having both is the goal but in reality that is something rare. Getting enough backspin to make the ball float is difficult, hard bullet spin is easier.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Despite the fact that lots of folks don’t like it - One knee down setup is being taught at the highest levels of both baseball and softball now. I think we are heading towards it being the norm. Most catchers don’t stay in it exclusively, but when they feel the situation warrants it. The analytics have proven it is superior for receiving and (depending on the individuals skills) there is little to no loss in throwing ability. Personally, always preferred this setup myself haha.
Yep, and also not taught/used at that level.
And *not a new thing.

Think it through is why i comment!

I could mention some other mechanics/someone else marketed heavily, started about 10'ish years ago that became a very popular thing to do, and some say 'is the right thing to do' and it is not a one knee down method.

Ps please do bring on discussion analyzing of receiving pitches & wild pitches.
Can compare defensive range with throws!
Meet👍 all in the catching forum!

This rise ball thread can resume 🙂

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2015
The tradeoff between speed and spin is something that each pitcher will have to decide. Obviously having both is the goal but in reality that is something rare. Getting enough backspin to make the ball float is difficult, hard bullet spin is easier.

Every pitcher has a style. Down ball pitcher, up ball pitcher, power pitcher, spinner. In my experience, power pitchers tend to have less movement and the really good ones have a great change. They also may have a good down ball but usually not a rise.

The spinners aren’t as fast, and instead rely on correct spin, movement, and good location.

Both can be equally effective, there’s no right or wrong, play to your strengths. Some kids like my DD will never get to 65.

My DD is in the spinner category, really good rise and hard curve, decent drop and change. Curve tops out at 60-61 and the rise is probably 58-59. I will say that she does tend to throw more pitches per batter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 26, 2019
Yep, and also not taught/used at that level.
And *not a new thing.

Think it through is why i comment!

I could mention some other mechanics/someone else marketed heavily, started about 10'ish years ago that became a very popular thing to do, and some say 'is the right thing to do' and it is not a one knee down method.

Ps please do bring on discussion analyzing of receiving pitches & wild pitches.
Can compare defensive range with throws!
Meet👍 all in the catching forum!

This rise ball thread can resume 🙂
I don’t have the desire to start another thread and don’t know the other mechanics you mention. I’ll finish it with this and then see myself out - in MLB 2020 catchers in conventional catching stances accounted for almost identical passed balls and caught stealing when compared to one knee down setups. They did however, convert way more strikes on close pitches than conventional. As always, depends on the individual catcher to utilize what they feel best helps them given their skill sets.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802