reverting to last inning's score

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I am not used to this process at all. Maybe the rec league has always been this way. But, I don't get it. You are encouraged and sometimes forced to play everyone, equally. But 10U and up are reverting to the last full inning's score, to determine a winner.

There is generally a #1 pitcher who can pitch innings 1 and 2, and then, someone else has to pitch.

Also, runs are limited to 4 per inning.

It is barely even softball anymore.

One coach tried to play "fairly," another instructed his girls to run out the clock - so the score would revert back and he would win.

It is supposed to be "for the girls." But is it, when you are forced to play a chess game in order to win?

By the way, is this called "Drop dead" or is that when the game ends, when the clock runs out? I am so confused and it is only Monday.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Our rec league has a "no new inning" after time. But sometimes there is a drop dead or darkness causes a game to be stopped (usually in the early season). In that event we use the following rules which are pretty simple when you think about it, but pretty long to cover all scenarios -

If the home team is ahead when the game is called, the home team wins.

If the home team is ahead at the start of the inning, the score reverts to the prior inning if the inning isn't completed.

If the game is tied at the start of the inning, the game reverts to the prior inning unless the home team wins.

If the home team was behind at the start of the inning, the game reverts to the prior inning unless the home team has tied the score or taken the lead in which case the game is a tie or win for home team.

I know that's a lot of words but I think that covers the possible scenarios.

And while some coaches are jerks about clock management in a rec league, I mean it is for the girls, most play it to try to get as many innings in as possible. At least in our league anyway.

Nov 6, 2013
Baja, AZ
Amy,

Here's my recollection from Baja Rec League. There is a "no new inning" time and a "drop dead" time. Drop dead was usually (in all the age divisions) 10 minutes after the no new inning time. So if a new inning starts and later in that inning (top or bottom) drop dead time is called, and the home team is behind, the official game score reverts back to the last complete inning. That is provided that the minimum number of innings was played for a complete game.

Jun 4, 2013
Orange County, CA
SoAZDad is correct. DD's rec league is 1:30 no new and 1:40 drop dead. If the home team is behind and has not completed its last at bat by the drop dead time, then the score reverts. DD lost a 9-4 game this Saturday because it reverted back to the 3-4 score which was recorded in the "last" completed inning. DD's team was the visiting team. I advised our HC to get end our at bats the second we regained the lead to give us time to try to end the inning before the game dropped dead but HC didn't think there was enough time either way so he just let the girls play. Drop dead really hurts the visiting teams especially if they come out slow early in the game. I've seen teams who have the home field advantage get an early lead, stall, stall, stall and give the opposing team as little time possible to try to regain a lead. I've also witnessed a team who was designated home lose the lead with time on the clock after the 3rd inning and walk the visiting team for almost 20 minutes resulting in a 3- 12 win that reverted back to 3-1. Crazy how a time limit really effects a coaches strategy especially in win or go home tournament situations

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
The only place I ever see drop dead is in friendlies, where the games don't count, so keeping on schedule trumps all.
Makes no sense in any competitive situation.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
The only place I ever see drop dead is in friendlies, where the games don't count, so keeping on schedule trumps all.
Makes no sense in any competitive situation.

Our rec league uses 1:40 no-new/2:00 drop-dead. We have seen lots of tournament pool games with drop-dead times, too.

Feb 7, 2013
Unless it's the championship game, most rec leagues and tournaments have time limits because they have lots of games to get in. Very few go all 7 innings. PONY baseball for my son has the same rules.

I don't like time limits, but I have no problem using the clock to your advantage if the rules impose time limits.

Nov 6, 2013
Baja, AZ
Bchbum54 and Rocketech1,

I've seen a coach burn time by substituting the catcher. They only had one set of equipment, so it ate a good 5 or 8 minutes for one catcher to get the gear off and the new catcher to get it on.