Responsibilty to throw pitch in dirt! or not?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 22, 2015
With runners on it's never okay to miss in the dirt. 99% of catchers won't throw out a speedy runner who takes off and the ball is thrown in the dirt. Pitchers with control don't throw balls in the dirt with runners on imo
The focus still has to be on getting the batter out, and if I feel like a change up or drop in the dirt is my best bet against a batter I need my catcher to be good enough to handle it. You can watch the most skilled batters all the way through college and MLB who get themselves out on pitches in the dirt every game because of the way they were set up with other pitches. If they were that easy to read it wouldn't work so often. Oh, and I definitely DO call for pitches in the dirt regularly.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
As far as pitches in the dirt at the upper levels, this past weekend, (Don't remember if it was the GCU/Oregon game or the FL/USF game) there had to have been easily a half-dozen D3K. They DO happen regularly and often with intent.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Balls in the dirt that get gloved are usually great pitches to throw down on or even better for a back pick if it’s available. Lots of runners are looking for the ball. To see if it got behind the catcher. They might not be running as hard looking to see if they can round the bag. Catcher coming up with the ball isn’t always expected.

Apr 28, 2014
The focus still has to be on getting the batter out, and if I feel like a change up or drop in the dirt is my best bet against a batter I need my catcher to be good enough to handle it. You can watch the most skilled batters all the way through college and MLB who get themselves out on pitches in the dirt every game because of the way they were set up with other pitches. If they were that easy to read it wouldn't work so often. Oh, and I definitely DO call for pitches in the dirt regularly.
Curious, do you call fast balls in the dirt?
Do you want it to bounce halfway up there?
Is the goal to hit the backstop?

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
I don't mean to say that if a ball is in the dirt I'm willing to concede the runner advancing a base. I want my catcher to block properly and keep it in arm's reach and make a competitive play on the runner. But, if I had to choose between the fastest possible pick and throw vs. block, grab, throw, I'm willing to sacrifice that time and take my chances. I've just never seen a catcher (up to 18u) who could CONSISTENTLY shift and pick cleanly enough and make enough good throws to make it worth the risk of not blocking the ball. It's just risk vs reward to me.
Nice to see thinking process!

radness

Dec 13, 2019
The focus still has to be on getting the batter out,

and if I feel like a change up or drop in the dirt is my best bet against a batter I need my catcher to be good enough to handle it. You can watch the most skilled batters all the way through college and MLB who get themselves out on pitches in the dirt every game because of the way they were set up with other pitches. If they were that easy to read it wouldn't work so often. Oh, and I definitely DO call for pitches in the dirt regularly.
Hmmm?
Think the process of defense is to get outs!
Any outs!

Often
(actually for most pitchers)
The defense supports the pitcher and is responsible for the majority of outs.

In the case of a runner on base getting that PICK OFF OUT actually removes pressure on where to make the next play
(split decisions) and removes that possible run scoring.

Especially in the case of a pitcher who is outmatched or struggling picking runners is a huge help!
Can even work with picking runners off because some coaches/runners are told
"if its in the dirt run"
Which is deffinetly not always a good thing to do.
Because there are catchers who train to throw out runners even if pitch is in the dirt.
The expectation to throw runners out on dirt pitches is part of the game!

Last edited:

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Now if the OP was more concerned with how it's scored WP,PB, Steal then I don't really care.
Thats an interesting twist in this topic.
(Of which i dont care how its scored)
My focus is the play on the field.

That interesting twist is
~ because ~ Some people view a pitch in the dirt means all the catcher has to do is keep it in front of them.
*Because it maybe considered a WILD pitch
WILD PITCH - just keep it in front mentality.
The biggest reason I bring up this discussion is because that is NOT the case!
*Catchers have to do more than just keep the ball in front of them!
See some young catchers developing only blocking. Without any sense of urgency to get to the ball to throw. Not being taught responsibility of the runner.
*Because it may be considered a wild pitch
WILD PITCH - just keep it in front
mentality.

Wild pitch in the books or not.
There is an expectation of handling the play with a throw! Fielders receiving shorts hops is the same requirement/expectation!

LETS THROW RUNNERS OUT !

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I don't think anybody is advocating just picking the ball. It is the primary goal and if that doesn't work the catcher is still blocking. I like to think glove first and the body will follow. I think that is what RAD is saying but please correct me if I'm wrong.

Another reason for picking the ball is that some players are taught to read dirt and go even if they are not that fast. They are easy outs when the ball is picked and a lot harder when just blocked.
Not to change the subject but do you ever call for a pitchout? I say yes.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
This is really a great thread.

Part of the confusion results in the difference between baseball and softball. In baseball, runners usually cannot advance a base if a ball is kept in front of the catcher. Thus, the common rule: "Keep the ball in front of you."

But, with shorter base paths, many softball runners can advance a base if the ball is not cleanly caught.

In softball, the odds of a runner getting more than one base on a ball to the screen is low. The backstop is not very far from the plate. The runner usually slides into 2B, and by the time she gets on her feet and locates the ball, the catcher has the ball. And, of course, the 3B is already in position to make the tag.

So, given the likely outcomes, the catcher should emphasize trying to catch the ball rather than simply keep the ball in front of her.

Jul 22, 2015
Curious, do you call fast balls in the dirt?
Do you want it to bounce halfway up there?
Is the goal to hit the backstop?
I specifically said what pitches I would call that way. Don't understand the reason for condescending, silly questions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802