Responsibilty to throw pitch in dirt! or not?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 11, 2013
Like everything it's not a one size fits all category. If there are runners on 3rd blocking is 100 percent the most important thing. If it's a runner on 1st it's worth the chance to try and glove it versus blocking and losing the base anyway. With runners on 2nd a good blocking C can usually prevent the runner from advancing. I would rather have a few that might get a bit too far away and lose the base versus just giving them the base by having it get by the catcher.

Learning the situations in a game is so important and often not taught well.

Now if the OP was more concerned with how it's scored WP,PB, Steal then I don't really care.

Jul 5, 2016
Balls in the dirt with runners on base are a sign of a pitcher with a mechanical issue IMO

But I have also noticed that great pitchers have great fielders and a great catcher. Not to wear out the obvious, but a great catcher will corral many wild pitches that other catcher would let go to the fence.

May 7, 2015
SoCal
Balls in the dirt with runners on base are a sign of a pitcher with a mechanical issue IMO

I don't know. There are tons of situations where a "miss" low and in the dirt is far more favorable to a "miss" in the middle of the zone. Pitches have to be low to work. A pitcher can't be puckered up thinking about how the team can't have a passed ball when a low drop curve is called (or whatever pitch). She's got to believe in her catcher to keep the ball in front.

Apr 28, 2014
I don't know. There are tons of situations where a "miss" low and in the dirt is far more favorable to a "miss" in the middle of the zone. Pitches have to be low to work. A pitcher can't be puckered up thinking about how the team can't have a passed ball when a low drop curve is called (or whatever pitch). She's got to believe in her catcher to keep the ball in front.
With runners on it's never okay to miss in the dirt. 99% of catchers won't throw out a speedy runner who takes off and the ball is thrown in the dirt. Pitchers with control don't throw balls in the dirt with runners on imo

May 7, 2015
SoCal
With runners on it's never okay to miss in the dirt. 99% of catchers won't throw out a speedy runner who takes off and the ball is thrown in the dirt. Pitchers with control don't throw balls in the dirt imo

Hmm, it's OK to disagree but that statement reads so ABSOLUTE... Anyway, what age division and what competitiveness are you referencing?

Apr 28, 2014
Hmm, it's OK to disagree but that statement reads so ABSOLUTE... Anyway, what age division and what competitiveness are you referencing?
Anything at 14U and above.. A level. I remember one of the best coaches DD has used to say to her "Did I call for a pitch in the dirt? Cause I don't have a sign for that:" LOL
I get it mistakes happen the ball slips.. But pitchers should not be throwing balls in the dirt.
I guess that's why I hate drop balls :)

May 7, 2015
SoCal
OK, I agree with the should not miss of your last post.. In your post before that, you had indicated that it is never OK to miss in the dirt. A pitcher who is fighting in a game has to have the allowance to miss in the dirt. A lot of our pitchers K's are low and in the dirt.

Shortstops practice turning grounders into routine plays
RAD promotes catchers fielding dirt pitches into routine plays
My opinion is for catchers blocking dirt pitches into routine plays.
Players have to play their positions to help the pitcher out.

On DD's team (14u), if there's a pitch in the dirt and it gets by the catcher, the coach will NEVER scold the pitcher for the miss, it will always fall on the catcher.

Apr 28, 2014
OK, I agree with the should not miss of your last post.. In your post before that, you had indicated that it is never OK to miss in the dirt. A pitcher who is fighting in a game has to have the allowance to miss in the dirt. A lot of our pitchers K's are low and in the dirt.

On DD's team (14u), if there's a pitch in the dirt and it gets by the catcher, the coach will NEVER scold the pitcher for the miss, it will always fall on the catcher.

A miss in the dirt is okay with no runners on base. If the pitcher is skilled enough to keep runners off base then most won't need to miss in the dirt. I guess a drop ball pitcher may be different. I don't see many drop ball pitchers at the 18u top levels. I know Osterman is great but aside from her not too many at top levels. Do great pitchers have a drop? Yes but most keep it a foot off the ground to prevent dirt balls and to be honest skilled hitters won't go for a pitch in the dirt. Too easy to spot as out of the zone.
Most times the only 3 people who know what pitch is called are the coach, pitcher and catcher. Unless you have a ball in the dirt on your pitching chart no ball should be in the dirt, in my opinion. Some may say, what about on a 0-2 count? Na.. it could miss the dirt and hit the batters foot. Too much risk, too little reward. DD is a spinner and her bread and butter is the flip change. When she K's a batter with a change in the dirt I cringe... now we need the catcher to make a throw down. Why? Just spot the pitch 8 inches higher to get the swing and miss and allow your catcher to squeeze it!

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Yes pitches are at times intentionally thrown to the dirt.

Good reads!

Jul 22, 2015
Nice to read people perspectives! Appreciate discussion!
Hmmm ? Your catcher blocking is not expected to throw the runner out.
So dirt pitches runners getting one base is ok. What age bracket?

Really you have never seen catchers shift getting behind the ball to field and throw dirt pitches?

I don't mean to say that if a ball is in the dirt I'm willing to concede the runner advancing a base. I want my catcher to block properly and keep it in arm's reach and make a competitive play on the runner. But, if I had to choose between the fastest possible pick and throw vs. block, grab, throw, I'm willing to sacrifice that time and take my chances. I've just never seen a catcher (up to 18u) who could CONSISTENTLY shift and pick cleanly enough and make enough good throws to make it worth the risk of not blocking the ball. It's just risk vs reward to me.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee