Reluctant to throw hard

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 27, 2020
Mention what exactly? She had a bad practice? Talking about it only makes it a bigger deal IMO and may cause her to get into her head which will only compound matters. Remember when we talked earlier about focusing on the positive? Well here you go wanting to talk about the negative again. Ha! Just move on and act like it never happened. If it keeps happening then it's a trend and should be addressed otherwise just consider it a bad day. Verlander has bad days so why can't a 12 year old? You can't freak out about every bad practice or outing and think it needs to be addressed. You'll drive yourself and her crazy. Focus on the positive. What did she do well that practice? Talk about THAT with the pitching coach. Then see how your DD responds.

Thanks. I thought to mention it to PC so maybe she can speak to DD from experience and she’s gone through it and has seen it before. I know DD will listen to me but if it comes from her PC she’ll see it in another light.

I’m not going to mention anything and see what happens. If DD wants to bring it up, I’ll let her go about it on her own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jul 27, 2020
What is he/she going to tell her that she doesn't already know? Just leave it alone.

Thanks. Just thought if I mention to PC she may be able to give her some advice bc it is more relatable coming from PC and her experiences

I’m not going to bring it up and see how things go.

Nov 22, 2019
My 12u first year DD just threw live to her teammates first time ever and first time throwing live to anyone since early November.

She’s been putting in the time with lessons, throwing at practice (to her catcher) and just me and her. Today she looked nervous and didn’t seem to be throwing as hard and seemed to hold back in fear of hitting her teammates. (Of course the first three batters were lefties - she hit a couple). One coach was watching her throw Friday and made a comment about her throwing more strikes and hard when she was throwing to me.

Just looking to see how you may have handled something like this or have any advice. I don’t want her to sacrifice anything and hold back bc it’s her team or fear pitching to them.

After practice, I asked her how she thought she did and her response was not so great. I mentioned its been quite a while throwing live and it’s not easy to throw to teammates. I told her to focus on the good things and emphasize the positives and not to worry and enjoy the rest of the day and hope she has that short memory and gets back at it best time.

My DD’s 11U team had pitchers throw to batters for the first time this winter yesterday, but just had them bunting.

My DD appeared to hit a girl right in the face mask and she can throws pretty hard for 11 (PR is 54mph). (I was taking video from far away in slow mo and it looks like it actually hit the bat and ricocheted up, but no one realized that)

After practice I asked her if she hit the girl in the head, and her 1st response was the girl should have gotten out of the way. Then she said the girl shouldn’t have cried because it’s not like she gave her a concussion. And this is a teammate, not an opponent.

Ironically. this is the same girl that every teacher at conferences would describe her as empathetic and compassionate. I guess softball pitching is starting to wipe that empathy away.

Jul 27, 2020
Hey all - just revisiting this and wanted to thank you all for the positive feedback from your experiences. DD pitched for the first time this year in a tournament and pitched very well and was throwing hard and was very happy with her results for her first couple outings.

Need to continue to work but didn’t see the reluctance from earlier in the year.

Thanks everyone.

Jan 22, 2011
Good to hear she did well. I'm late to the thread. My DD is a sweetheart and very empathetic when she isn't pitching. She rarely pitches now, but in 8u through 12u she claims she has only hit one or two batters on a pitch that was a ball.

When I asked her if she feels bad when she hit someone, she said "No, the batters box is the batter's, the strike zone and river are mine."

A big part of pitching is decieving the batter. I love pitchers that are a little wild, because it makes the batter nervous and less confident.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2020
Good to hear she did well. I'm late to the thread. My DD is a sweetheart and very empathetic when she isn't pitching. She rarely pitches now, but in 8u through 12u she claims she has only hit one or two batter on a pitch that was a ball.

When I ask her she feels bad when she hit someone, she said "No, the batters box is the batter's, the strike zone and river are mine."

A big part of pitching is decieving the batter. I love pitchers that are a little wild, because it makes the batter nervous and less confident.

Had more walks than would’ve liked and hit one girl in the foot but didn’t affect her mentally and got back in the circle and went at the next batter.

Her body language was great, regardless if she gave up a hit, BB, HBP or got an out. Was refreshing to see

Jul 27, 2020
Good to hear she did well. I'm late to the thread. My DD is a sweetheart and very empathetic when she isn't pitching. She rarely pitches now, but in 8u through 12u she claims she has only hit one or two batter on a pitch that was a ball.

When I ask her she feels bad when she hit someone, she said "No, the batters box is the batter's, the strike zone and river are mine."

Had more walks than would’ve liked and hit one girl in the foot but didn’t affect her mentally and got back in the circle and went at the next batter.

Her body language was great, regardless if she gave up a hit, BB, HBP or got an out. Was refreshing to see

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812