Reluctant to throw hard

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Another thing you can do to help during practice with you is to set up garbage cans in both batters’ boxes. She can keep throwing hard and try to hit her spots without worrying about hurting someone in the process. Just having something there visually helps a lot with transitioning to live batters.

Also very effective for when she has to face Oscar the Grouch in a game.

Jan 28, 2017
Working with a 12 year old that has only been pitching 6 months. She throws around 48\50 in lessons. Change is 36 and really good. She pitched in a game for the first time two weeks ago. She threw strikes but slow. Next lesson, I clocked her and her first FB was 39. Then her change was 36. We had a talk about how she has to throw her FB to set up the change. Next pitch 46 and then 48/50. Next game she was a little harder and I think this will continue until she is throwing around 50. I'm not sure the clocking thing would work coming from a parent. It probably wouldn't with my DD but if you have a PC it could possibly help.

Feb 10, 2018
NoVA
Speaking of garbage cans…

To help train my DD to never throw over the heart of the plate, I will sometimes stack two buckets of balls on top of one another and place them directly on the middle of the plate and then set up on either edge. This requires some catcher’s gear and some courage…and possibly a few drinks beforehand.

I got the idea for this from Alabama, which stacked up cement blocks on the heart of the plate in their bullpen.

May 27, 2013
DD’s PC would use those hard plastic life-size batters. I was cheap and opted for the garbage cans. And yes - definitely catcher’s gear if using obstacles!

May 1, 2018
The mental game at that age is a really hard part. They are learning how to be good ball players but they are still little girls.
Some girls are tigers right off the bat and others are kittens. As a coach I have to determine how to get that aggressiveness out of them.
My number 1 pitcher is shy as can be, very timid girl (14u) she can take a little bit to find the killer instinct sometimes. Honestly I started talking crap to her. Piss her off a little bit so she has the "I'll show him" attitude. There have been many times where I stand in the box and have her throw, just telling her "throw it harder." It's only scary she a screw ball comes.
My #2 is the complete opposite... she is a softball robot. She shows zero emotions. She will hit someone in the ribs and throw the same pitch the same spot the next at bat like it never happened.
Find that thing that flips a switch in their brains. As these girls get better and better, it's less coaching on fundamentals and more of what makes them go.

Jul 27, 2020
So we have our first lesson since throwing live. Should I mention something to her PC or should I have her bring it up? I’m thinking I should say something this time and encourage DD to speak to her about certain things as we move along.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jul 19, 2021
So we have our first lesson since throwing live. Should I mention something to her PC or should I have her bring it up? I’m thinking I should say something this time and encourage DD to speak to her about certain things as we move along.
Mention what exactly? She had a bad practice? Talking about it only makes it a bigger deal IMO and may cause her to get into her head which will only compound matters. Remember when we talked earlier about focusing on the positive? Well here you go wanting to talk about the negative again. Ha! Just move on and act like it never happened. If it keeps happening then it's a trend and should be addressed otherwise just consider it a bad day. Verlander has bad days so why can't a 12 year old? You can't freak out about every bad practice or outing and think it needs to be addressed. You'll drive yourself and her crazy. Focus on the positive. What did she do well that practice? Talk about THAT with the pitching coach. Then see how your DD responds.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee