Release and Spin Gifs

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
any chance getting this pitch shown full speed? I think alot of things change when you actually throw it full speed. Thanks.
This is the one I hoped would demo it, but it’s more of a curve spin. Imagine this release except the pitcher releases the ball like a cup of water, with the bottom of the cup coming off the pinky last—trying to splash the catcher:

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2020
This is the one I hoped would demo it, but it’s more of a curve spin. Imagine this release except the pitcher releases the ball like a cup of water—trying to splash the catcher:

Thanks this is helpful.

And i like how the pitcher goes from "oh crap I left it up in the zone!!!" To celebrating a K haha.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
This is the one I hoped would demo it, but it’s more of a curve spin. Imagine this release except the pitcher releases the ball like a cup of water, with the bottom of the cup coming off the pinky last—trying to splash the catcher:

Thanks Ken, yes this is the position i was more thinking of. The wrist is straighter and the hand doesnt stop to push the water out of the glass, it keeps on rotating and is released out as the fingers kinda clench. The look from the top of the pitcher would be counter clockwise spin of the hand/wrist. When it worked for DD the cue was to get that rotation around fast enough to essentially 'push' the ball out with the thumb as the top of the hand turned into the leg. She wasn't able to get the rotation fast enough until we straightened out her arm like a figure skater spinning pulls her arms in to spin faster, DD straightened her arm essentially pulling the arms in for a tighter rotation/spin which allowed this to happen. The good thing about it is it looks very much like every other pitch, same arm speed same elbow action after blocking against the torso etc. We went to the Pauy clinic in Ohio which you were at it it was taught more like a top of the circle spin to horseshoe water glass throw at catcher like you describe. She was less consistent with that for some reason. I think because she was always trying to stop the IR of the arm during the swing but could not stay consistent. In any case, whatever works for the kid, i just look at the Ueno gif as the pitch to emulate. Just like Alvelo above her hand keeps rotating but maybe not as much as i am trying to describe. She also rotates her hand alot later.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
One cue that may help her is to whip her fingertips (focus on the pinky and ring fingers) across the front of the ball. Like this:
1612036765149.gif

I also like the cue of pushing with the thumb. It helps get the hand in front of the elbow early enough to kill whip.

The Pauly change is great. One thing that helps is to watch spin. Spiral spin is a great start and tends to be the easiest to take speed off and control.

Last edited:
May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
Great stuff! The rise and palm up curve are very close in release and you can see the similarity in the spins, thus the rise-curve. The curves and rises that I see on TV are rarely pure spin but incorporate a substantial amount of bullet spin. It looks to me like the fastball has more RPM than the drop and a similar spin axis. What is the difference in velocity between the fastball and the drop?

Nov 8, 2018
One cue that may help her is to whip her fingertips (focus on the pinky and ring fingers) across the front of the ball. Like this:
View attachment 20885

I also like the cue of pushing with the thumb. It helps get the hand in front of the elbow early enough to kill whip.

The Pauly change is great. One thing that helps is to watch spin. Spiral spin is a great start and tends to be the easiest to take speed off and control.

I like the pushing with the thumb Cue. Chell has been in a little struggle Getting the ball turned early.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nov 8, 2018
View attachment 20885

Only issue with this for her is she uses a circle grip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SB45

Dad, Coach, Chauffeur
Sep 2, 2016
Western NY
Great stuff! The rise and palm up curve are very close in release and you can see the similarity in the spins, thus the rise-curve. The curves and rises that I see on TV are rarely pure spin but incorporate a substantial amount of bullet spin. It looks to me like the fastball has more RPM than the drop and a similar spin axis. What is the difference in velocity between the fastball and the drop?
Really appreciate the feedback. Definitely a lot of bullet spin on TV. She is usually around 11-5 as opposed to true 12-6 spin. As her speed has increased her rise would often curve unintentionally. Just started to work on the curve (intentionally) and I would say it is closer to 10-4 spin...but you are right, not a lot of difference between the rise and curve at this point. If you view the ball from above, her goal on the drop is a dot or center of rotation at 3 oclock, where the FB goal is at 4 oclock...so the FB has less true drop spin (but it is still spinning down)...difference in speed is 3-4 mph. FB is 57-59 currently, drop 53-55.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812