Recruiting manager?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2018
Hi, DD is going to choose a college/university based on academics but wants to apply as a student-athlete and hopefully get a roster spot or invitation to walk on and try out. Her HS had us sign up for NCSA but I'm wondering who the parents here used. I am completely and totally green at this. If it matters, she's a 2024 with a 97/100 GPA. Also what can we expect to pay for these services? Thanks!

May 6, 2015
we are using NCSA for two DDs (get sibling discount for second one, basically an extra upgrade for free). the only thing I do not like about NCSA is that if the athlete is a dual sport athlete, like DD2, you really have to have two profiles ($$$$). we did that, but with two different levels (based on her current leanings), and we can switch later if circumstances dictate.

only negative I have so far is video upload processssss iiiiiissssss s l o w.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
NCSA alone does nothing. It should be used as a tool to help the process along. It's a communication and information gathering tool. We used and it do not directly correlate to my DD getting committed to play in college. 2024-HS Freshman. What TB team does she play for? The team should have a college recruiter or coach that helps with the process. If you expect her to get recruited via HS and NCSA, 99% it will not happen. I think the topic has been covered a ton on this forum. Use the search function and you will find all kinds of great information on the recruiting process.

If you want more information specifically related to recruiting for your DD, you will need to give us your current situation and softball experience. What level of team she is on? What tournaments the team play in the fall and summer? Don't waste your money on NCSA unless you have exhausted all the other options first. Free youtube page, filling out recruiting questionnaires, attending college camps, emailing coaches, etc.

https://www.fastpitchrecruiting.com/ Buy Cathy Aradi's book before you do anything else.

Aug 11, 2016
Hi, DD is going to choose a college/university based on academics but wants to apply as a student-athlete and hopefully get a roster spot or invitation to walk on and try out. Her HS had us sign up for NCSA but I'm wondering who the parents here used. I am completely and totally green at this. If it matters, she's a 2024 with a 97/100 GPA. Also what can we expect to pay for these services? Thanks!

We ended up opening our DD a free profile in NCSA for a few years. Then when things got serious, we paid about $1000 for a basic service. Is a one time fee. If I were to do this again, I would have saved the money and keep the free profile.

With this basic profile you get additional video uploads and some mentorship/guidance that our DD never really used.

Although NCSA generated some traffic for my daughter, coaches generally want to see a more personalized communication, and prefer direct, rather than general emails. Best that the daughter does the work and do not rely on others doing the work for her. This NCSA thing may had worked for others, but for us, it was just a way for my DD to refer coaches to her profile so that they could see more (videos, her stats and academics). The free version have all that. The paid version allows you to know who is following her and who is seeing her profile, etc...

Our DD got recruited by a very high academics school (little Ivy school - NESCAC) and although there was some general communication in NCSA to start, what made her recruitment happened was direct communication to the coach from my DD indicating strong interest, recommendations from her high school coach who is an alumni and former player of that college playing for that same coach, as well as sending the coach video directly, unedited, of her games. This school was her #2 choice in her list, which quickly moved to #1 when they offered her a spot in the team.

When I researched NCSA on previous recruits to this college, only a handful had NCSA profiles (3 or 4).

In summary, I feel I got partial/marginal value of NCSA for what I paid... mainly because of my DD’s involvement with the system which was not much, and because coach’s communication preferences.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 10, 2018
If you want more information specifically related to recruiting for your DD, you will need to give us your current situation and softball experience. What level of team she is on?

Thank you for the advice, ordered the book and took your and the other comments into a document so I can help her create a plan for her to execute.

She's played since 8U, went to TB at 12. Currently on a second year 14U A level team (but not what I'd consider elite/national level, mostly due to the lack of A+ pitching we only have one A+ and 2 B pitchers but the fielding is very good when the lesser pitchers get hit). DD pitches (not for TB, she needs more speed, she'd be a B pitcher too at this point) and has crazy movement but is working on getting her speed up. She hits reliably and well. Plays 1st and is beginning to play 3rd--strong, accurate arm.

They play mostly USSSA and some USA as that's all there is within a 2 hour drive and the other parents grumble about the cost of our 1 sleep-away so I don't see any more of those being added (southern NY/CT). There is only one stronger club in our area but are too far for her to make practices and get to bed at a decent hour.

I will definitely search the site (of course this has been discussed 100X)!

Jun 11, 2012
You really don’t need to use a recruiting service. Emails to coaches with skills videos and your DD’s schedule sent from her email to get the coaches attention and playing in the right tournaments/showcases so the coaches will likely already be going there and then follow up emails after the coach sees her play. Most 16/18U teams have a recruiting coordinator who will hand out team brochures to the coaches that they see at the fields

Aug 27, 2019
Lakewood CA.
We went with Field Level. It’s 40.00 a month. It got her a lot of interest from NAIA-D II teams. You still have to do the leg work as far as contacting schools but some schools contacted her through her profile.

We found a great fit Local NAIA school and signed last winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 6, 2015
yeah, with NCSA, DD1 still had to do her reaching out, sending emails, etc., but the video editing was a godsend, beyond my capabilities (all my videos were approx 25 minutes long, with DDs highlights being 10-15 second segments spread throughout, too big for my computer to handle). and the one on one with the recruiting coach, anytime she needed it (sometimes took a day or so, but always got response) was great as well. got great advice about prioritizing different showcases and minicamps, soudning board for skipping year of HS sports, whether to change club teams or not, etc. being on a very new club team (she is 2022 grad, she joined club when it was founded 4 years ago), coaches did not at first have as many contacts as some.

Softball is a little different, with DD, I can basically take video of each defensive half inning (luckily, for a C, no need to pan, zoom, etc.) and her PAs, keeps the videos shorter.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I had two DDs play college sports, so I've been around the block a couple of times. In your DD's situation, don't pay for a service.

The best approach: Your DD picks out three schools she wants to attend. Then, send each coach a skills video. Then, go visit each coach say she wants to play softball at the school. She'll get all the feedback she needs as to whether she can play for the team.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802