Recruiting - how much does coach watch you play?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 15, 2019
I'm curious about how much a college coach watches a girl they're considering recruiting? For instance, one coach has come to 2 of DDs games but has only stayed 2 innings each time. Is that typical? Can they see everything they need to in just a couple innings? I had thought they would stay for the whole game.

May 21, 2015
South
It depends on the coach and situation. My DD attended two camps and coach never saw her in a game. If a coach has been to two of her games, I would take that as a good sign. Especially if she gets invited to a camp.

May 27, 2013
I'm curious about how much a college coach watches a girl they're considering recruiting? For instance, one coach has come to 2 of DDs games but has only stayed 2 innings each time. Is that typical? Can they see everything they need to in just a couple innings? I had thought they would stay for the whole game.
Depends on the coach and school. Keep in mind D3 schools are not going to have the recruiting budget the D1/D2 have so unless the showcase is local to them or a very large one, you might not see them as often.

I‘d say only staying a couple of innings is not a bad sign, especially if they came back to see her another time. They probably just have a pretty big list of players to watch at the same showcase and want to see as many as they are able.

Feb 25, 2020
Ca.
Coches are at a showcase or touniment to watch other players, so they split the time up. A couple of innings for this player, a couple for the player who may be playing on the other side of the snack bar. But I have seen college coaches watch entire games, knowing they were there to watch primarily my daughter, but they are always watching others during the game because every coach is always looking for "that" player who may have been missed.

May 7, 2015
SoCal
DD's future coach followed and watched a ton of her games and watched 2 or 3 different OnDeck events. Was always around.

Any time a coach is watching your game, its good. I would agree, 2 or 3 innings is all that is needed. Very rarely does a coach come and watch an entire game. The only times where they seem to watch it all is near the end of the process or watching girls that are already committed.

Is your DD a '24? If so, has she been in communication with the coach?

Nov 15, 2019
Thank you for all the replies! Yes, that makes sense that they have lots of other players to see at the same showcase.

DD is a 2024, this is a D3 school that is her #1 choice. She has been to 2 camps at the school but there was a different coach there at the time. This coach just took over a few months ago and DD has been emailing her. Between the 1st and 2nd showcase we did a tour of the school and talked to the coach. A week later at the 2nd showcase the coach came and sat with me. But then we were just at a huge camp with many different coaches and the coach did not watch her. So I guess I'm not sure where DD stands with the coach??

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2022
Coming at all is a good sign how long they stay is a combination of how good is the game and how much else they have to do. My DDs future coaches have been to many games. Some they’ve stayed a couple innings. Others they’ve watched the whole thing. Last tournament they called her after the tournament and hashed out the games they saw like friends. Good plays bad calls it was super fun as a parent listening to the cal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 27, 2013
Thank you for all the replies! Yes, that makes sense that they have lots of other players to see at the same showcase.

DD is a 2024, this is a D3 school that is her #1 choice. She has been to 2 camps at the school but there was a different coach there at the time. This coach just took over a few months ago and DD has been emailing her. Between the 1st and 2nd showcase we did a tour of the school and talked to the coach. A week later at the 2nd showcase the coach came and sat with me. But then we were just at a huge camp with many different coaches and the coach did not watch her. So I guess I'm not sure where DD stands with the coach??

Does your dd have more than just the email contact and campus visit with this coach at this point? Do they text? Has the coach been very responsive to emails/texts? Did the coach know your dd was going to that camp? Has the coach asked your dd to attend one of the school camps since this coach as taken over?

It could be that the coach already knows what your dd has to offer from seeing her at the showcase and was focusing on recruits she has not seen in person yet.

Has this coach had a call with your dd?
Has she asked for any academic info from your dd if it’s a high academic program?

Your dd can always say that this school is one of her top choices and she’s like to know what the next step in the process is. That would probably give her a better idea of where she stands with this coach.

Nov 15, 2019
Does your dd have more than just the email contact and campus visit with this coach at this point? Do they text? Has the coach been very responsive to emails/texts? Did the coach know your dd was going to that camp? Has the coach asked your dd to attend one of the school camps since this coach as taken over?

It could be that the coach already knows what your dd has to offer from seeing her at the showcase and was focusing on recruits she has not seen in person yet.

Has this coach had a call with your dd?
Has she asked for any academic info from your dd if it’s a high academic program?

Your dd can always say that this school is one of her top choices and she’s like to know what the next step in the process is. That would probably give her a better idea of where she stands with this coach.
The coach just asked for her number at the last showcase and texted DD that it was great to see her play. DD responded something like thanks for coming, safe travels home. DD texted her after the camp as well. Coach responds to all texts and emails. But now that fall season is over, what should she email or text her about?

The coach did mention a camp but it's several months away and I'm a little worried if we wait till then it will be too late because she does have a couple 2024s committed already. She has not had a phone call with the coach. Coach has not specifically asked for any academic information but DD has mentioned a couple times her classes and grades.

Thank you for your help and suggestions! On our tour, DD had lunch with several of the players. She'd really like to meet more of them, do you think it would be okay to ask for another visit?

May 27, 2013
Your dd could always ask to set up a call which would show great initiative. She could let the coach know that x school is one of her top choices and ask what the next step would be for her in the process. If you don’t mind me asking, what is your DD’s primary position? Some positions get recruited earlier than others or those players could be girls the coach had already been recruiting for the other school who decided to follow the coach.

It is still early for D3 schools in the process. Most won’t finish recruiting until after the summer before senior year. Some might not finish until after senior year fall season. Would asking which conference be too specific? No pressure to answer that.

ETA: Your dd could always go visit campus and just let the coach know ahead of time that she’ll be there and would like to meet a few more members of the team, if possible.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee