Recruiting contact question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 4, 2019
Question for the group, I know colleges change the rules a few years back that they can’t have contact until junior year. Or at least I thought that was the new role?
So my question is - I’ve seen some 14U high end showcase tournaments were they brag about the number of D1/ power 5 coaches that will be there. Are they really allowed to recruit there? Or is it more of a marketing thing they just get teams there? Coaches watching, but not really recruiting other than putting names on their watch list?

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
The Colleges are watching and most likely talking to the team recruiting coordinator. The D1 coaches cannot talk to the players, but they sure can watch them. The players most likely sent skills videos and have been emailing these coaches as well as attending camps. This is why players need to start the recruiting process as early as possible. If you haven't been in communication with college coaches by Sept 1 of your Jr year, uh oh. That's when those coaches are on the phone and texting their best recruits AFTER they have been watching them for several years.

Apr 20, 2015
We play 14u and have had multiple p5 through mid majors watching entire games and multiple games at our last 2 showcases. Sometimes they talk to our coaches. Sometimes just watch.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Aug 21, 2008
They are recruiting kids for their team camps. And just to clarify, coaches can call kids at midnight on Sept 1 of their Junior year. Many already have emails lined up in a que to go our at the stroke of 12 on Sept 1.

Feb 1, 2021
They can and do watch 14U. Our 14U World Championship tourney a few years back was crawling with HCs (not assistant coaches that normally attend) from all the major schools and conferences. They were clearly there to make an impression.

They actually can talk in general about the weather and such. That's pretty touchy, however. Most avoid it, especially at a ballfield. Best avoided honestly.

That said, feel free to say hi and tell them where you are playing. That's perfectly fine.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28