Recording Live Games 101

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 20, 2015
ok, got the game to record just fine last night......go pro hero 7 black, lynkspyder, voltaic V50 external battery - worked great

now wanting to upload the game to youtube - 5 segments

youtube won't accept this version of MP4 - sounds like i have the wrong codec, whatever that means

tried the wondershare uniconverter - and after converting the video, i had only the first 5 minutes of the video left lol

trying to see if i can do anything with imovie (i'm on a mac)

any advice?

May 16, 2016
Not a Mac guy, but google search provided this...

How to upload an iMovie video to YouTube on your Mac, without leaving the iMovie app

How to upload an iMovie to YouTube within the desktop app
1. Launch iMovie (you can search for the app using Spotlight, or find it by going to your Applications folder).

2. Open the project you want to upload to YouTube by double-clicking it in the Project Viewer.

iMovie1
Click on the iMovie project that you want to upload to YouTube. Meira Gebel/Business Insider

3. In the upper right-hand corner, select the export icon — it looks like a small box with an upwards-pointing arrow coming out of it.

4. A list of apps will appear in the drop-down menu. Find the YouTube icon and click it.

iMovie2
Select the export icon, then select "YouTube." Meira Gebel/Business Insider

5. A pop-up window will allow you to edit the title, description, tags, resolution, category, and privacy settings. Once you've made your selections, select "Next…" at the bottom. If you're not already signed into your YouTube account, you'll be asked to do so here.

iMovie3
Fill out the required fields, and make sure you're signed in to your YouTube account. Meira Gebel/Business Insider

6. Next, read the Terms of Service, then select "Publish."

iMovie4
Select "Publish." Meira Gebel/Business Insider

Your video will then begin uploading to YouTube.

Once it's finished uploading, a notification will appear in the top-right corner of your computer screen. Click on "Visit" in this notification to see the video on your YouTube channel.

May 20, 2015
i tried that, sort of, did not like it

i am trying to load directly from SD card to youtube, raw video, seeing if that works now

just want to get it up for parents to see, girls to watch today on a rainy day.....i'll work on editing for my needs later ;)

going to be a learning curve i guess lol

May 16, 2016
For sharing, I use my Google Drive. I use a video editor (Adobe Premiere Elements) to join the goPro files into one video file, then upload the file to my Google Drive, and then I can send out a link to the parents to stream/download the video. This way, they can download the video, and edit out their own highlights if they want, something they can't do with youtube. I upgraded the storage to 2TB for $9/month. I think Google Drive comes with 15gb of storage for free.

Most cloud storage services will probably allow you to do the same thing.

May 16, 2016
Yep, it works well for sharing with other parents. As soon as the upload completes, it's available for others to download, just share the link. The streaming requires Google to "Process" the video file, which takes anywhere from 10 minutes for a short clip, to 6 or 8 hours for a full 2 hour HD game. You don't have to do anything other than upload the video, but there is a delay between upload and being available to stream.

Oct 4, 2018
Ok, this thread is about "RECORDING GAMES LIVE 101" so I don't think I'm hijacking with my questions.

I have a LynkSpyder and like it. Solid build, fair price. But I'm having some user error issues. Josh is very helpful, appreciates feedback and is a good guy so I don't think he'll mind hearing my questions and he probably has advice.

1. I can't get the phone close enough to the fence. I want the phone safe, so away from the fence a smidge. But these fences have such a tight mesh (i.e. small opening) that one piece of metal always seems to be cutting diagonally across a corner of my screen.

2. I sometimes struggle getting the LynkSpyder onto the fence. I think I just need more practice, but sometimes I hang the top two hooks/mounts (which is super easy) and then can't find a place to easily connect the bottom two. Sometimes the natural one I'd pick is not on the same plane as the top ones, if that makes sense. So the hook can't get over the fence. Any tips?

Last edited:

Josh Greer

DFP Vendor
Jul 31, 2013
Central Missouri
Ok, this thread is about "RECORDING GAMES LIVE 101" so I don't think I'm hijacking with my questions.

I have a LynkSpyder and like it. Solid build, fair price. But I'm having some user error issues. Josh is very helpful, appreciates feedback and is a good guy so I don't think he'll mind hearing my questions and he probably has advice.

1. I can't get the phone close enough to the fence. I want the phone safe, so away from the fence a smidge. But these fences have such a tight mesh (i.e. small opening) that one piece of metal always seems to be cutting diagonally across a corner of my screen.

2. I sometimes struggle getting the LynkSpyder onto the fence. I think I just need more practice, but sometimes I hang the top two hooks/mounts (which is super easy) and then can't find a place to easily connect the bottom two. Sometimes the natural one I'd pick is not on the same plane as the top ones, if that makes sense. So the hook can't get over the fence. Any tips?
On item 2:
On the one or more claws you are having trouble finding a mating link, move that claw to the vertical groove if on the horizontal(and visa versa, as needed).

When we started early on, we were surprised to find out that there are no standards for chain link fence dimensions. Sort of the wild wild west. This is why we build in so much adjustability.

Oct 4, 2018
On item 2:
On the one or more claws you are having trouble finding a mating link, move that claw to the vertical groove if on the horizontal(and visa versa, as needed).

When we started early on, we were surprised to find out that there are no standards for chain link fence dimensions. Sort of the wild wild west. This is why we build in so much adjustability.

Agreed. I kind of thought all chain link fence was the same. Crazy to me to learn that it isn't.

Jul 14, 2018
1. I can't get the phone close enough to the fence.

The small rig magic arm is a lifesaver for this. It lets you get the lens exactly where you want it, it’s a great accessory for the Spyder. However, most phones have a pretty wide field of view, so any space you leave between the camera and the chain link is likely to catch some of the fence.

2. I sometimes struggle getting the LynkSpyder onto the fence.
This is especially tough on old, beat-up backstops where there are bulges everywhere. You’re doing the right thing by starting with the top two. I’ve found that the bottom two aren’t that important in terms of being level with the top. Anywhere you can secure them and lock it down should keep it in place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
re.todd22