recommendations for pay as you go portable hotspots

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 23, 2019
Trying to do live streaming with a Mevo and the phone hotspot I've been using (Verizon) seems to be having connection issues. Anyone have particular recommendations for a hotspot that will work with pay as you go SIM cards? I only plan on using it 5-6 months a year and don't want to commit to contracts. Ideally, something that an antenna can be attached to. If it matters, I feel like AT&T has the best reception in my area.

Feb 7, 2016
Netgear Nighthawk is probably the best hotspot router out there. I'd also highly recommend the Netgear antenna. This makes all the difference in areas where coverage is spotty. This past weekend I had 1-2 bars of connectivity, but I was still able to maintain good enough throughput for a very stable 720p livestream. I'd also suggest looking at the AT&T prepaid plan: $55/month for 100GB.

Amazon product ASIN B00DN3J03O

May 16, 2016
I am not sure what a "Pay as you go" sim card is, but with most carriers, if you buy/bring your own equipment, you can get a month to month account set-up, no contract required. I'm using an Inseego Jetpack Mifi on T-mobile. 50GB for $50/month. This model does have external antennae ports.

I've been considering upgrading to their 5G hotspot, the Inseego M2000. $336 to buy device, then $50/month for 100GB of 4g/5g bandwidth. No external antennae ports though...

Oct 23, 2019
Thanks. By "pay as you go", I'm hoping for SIM cards that have a fixed amount of data, and then you pay to refill. I thought I've seen hotspots like that on Amazon, but I didn't know if they're any good. I could deal with month-to-month if it means superior devices and reception.

Apr 20, 2015
I've been using an external Verizon hot spot. Seems to be better than my phone alone. I'm sure not as good as going through a router like the night hawk

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Oct 23, 2019
Amazon has used Nighthawks going for 1/2 price so I thought I’d give it a shot. Curious as I’m seeing on eBay ATT hotspot SIM cards for $20/month, unlimited data and no throttling. Seems too good to be true, but no negative feedback.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812