Recently moved up to catch a very fast pitcher

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JRG

Aug 2, 2017
My daughter was recently moved up to catch Varsity for her High School team. The main girl she is catching for throws 65-68mph and my daughters mitt is not thickly padded enough and her index finger and hand joints are taking a beating. I have heard that the Vinci catchers mitts are super thick but we don't have time to break it in like her others as she is catching right now for Varsity. Does anybody have one for sale or any ideas where to find one broken in already? I also just posted this in the classified WTB section. Thanks!

May 6, 2015
if you have one in your area, check out a play it again sports, but doubtful you will find something there that will help with a pitcher that fast. finding a quality broken in FP catcher's mitt is a bit like hunting for bigfoot or a unicorn.

intermim, https://www.all-starsports.com/padded-professinal-protective-inner-glove.html might help. work hard on catching in pocket.

Also, not certain how break in compares to Vinci, but AS CMW3001 is a great mitt, well padded, but it does take a decent amount to break in. good news is catching a girl throwing 65+ will help to break it in quickere than a girl throwing 55.

note, i am in no way affiliated with AS.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Also, not certain how break in compares to Vinci, but AS CMW3001 is a great mitt, well padded, but it does take a decent amount to break in. good news is catching a girl throwing 65+ will help to break it in quickere than a girl throwing 55.

note, i am in no way affiliated with AS.
Probably 8 out of 10 times I'd recommend an All-Star, but in this case it looks like it's more about protection! I'd probably opt for the top Kip Vinci here!

May 6, 2015
Palmgard padded glove is a good temporary solution. Or permanent. If she likes her mitt, I would suggest that you consider staying with it.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
and if you use inner glove, AND get new mitt, great protection, and glove will protect the inside of mitt from sweat, salt, etc. (no break in really on those inner gloves, and they are much less than new mitt). wish I could convince DD to wear even batting glove inside her mitt.

JRG

Aug 2, 2017
Great suggestion on the Palmgard. I didn't think of that. I'm going to do that right now as a stop gap.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
If she's had a history of thumb stingers, then I'd have to go with the All-Star. Two or three stingers from 65-68 and that'll sit her down for a while! But for sheer palm padding I'd go with a Vinci.

Probably 5 years ago USC Upstate had an pitcher with just insane spin. Murphy, Alabama's HC said she might be the "spinniest" pitcher he's ever seen! Anyway, that pitcher had 3 catchers on the DL just for thumb bruises / stingers at one time!

May 6, 2015
Great suggestion on the Palmgard. I didn't think of that. I'm going to do that right now as a stop gap.
and if you have to wait to get it if not in stock locally, use a batting glove, better than nothing. they also sell thumb protectors, evosheidl worked for DD one time for a few weeks after bruuising a thumb bone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee