Rec ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 15, 2016
This is my DD 3rd year playing rec ball. She is 8. She is upset that the team keeps loosing due to team mates not putting fourth the effort with learning. She pitches, ss and 3rd. She has it in her head that she needs to give 500% to make up where her teammates lack. How can I get it across to her that she cannot do it all.
What gets me is that it is clear that the rec ball here is more of a babysitter than anything else. But in order to get her on a good team we would have to travel at least 40 minutes.
Any help or suggestions will be awesome!!!!

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
This is my DD 3rd year playing rec ball. She is 8. She is upset that the team keeps loosing due to team mates not putting fourth the effort with learning. She pitches, ss and 3rd. She has it in her head that she needs to give 500% to make up where her teammates lack. How can I get it across to her that she cannot do it all.
What gets me is that it is clear that the rec ball here is more of a babysitter than anything else. But in order to get her on a good team we would have to travel at least 40 minutes.

Travel 40 minutes...

Ok, that may not be fair at 8. Is there enough girls from ALL the teams close to you to create a travel team locally? If you can find a parent who is willing to step up, then that might be all you need to get it going. That is how many of us who frequent this board started out with their DD - by being the person who stepped up not just for their own DD, but for 10-12 others people's DD as well.

Jun 11, 2013
It's a good lesson to learn. It's a team sport and you can't do it all yourself. I will say that as you get older the more serious
players tend to stay on. However, the really good one eventually leave. She is only 8 so I wouldn't push too much yet.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
If you're looking for a team where all of the girls are as motivated as your DD, you aren't likely to find it in 8U rec ball...or 10U...or 12U...

Jun 12, 2015
We drive about 1:15 for our team. I'd definitely drive to avoid rec. With her attitude and effort, she'll probably get sick of playing if you keep her in rec.

Dec 3, 2012
West Coast
With her being frustrated it would be best if you traveled the 40 minutes. It's not that bad, really!

If that's not an option at least see if you can get her playing up with older girls next year. Also, is there a Summer or Fall league that she could play up in?

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia

Sounds like your DD is ready to make the jump to TB!!! A few years from now, after you drive 16 hours each way for Nationals, you will look back at this post and your complaint about driving 40 minutes and laugh...

Jun 12, 2015
Sounds like your DD is ready to make the jump to TB!!! A few years from now, after you drive 16 hours each way for Nationals, you will look back at this post and your complaint about driving 40 minutes and laugh...

Truth!!
TB miles.jpg

Mar 21, 2013
If you're looking for a team where all of the girls are as motivated as your DD, you aren't likely to find it in 8U rec ball...or 10U...or 12U...

To be honest, with the huge influx of girls in 10U travel ball it is not easy to find a team of motivated girls in 10U travel either. Especially in California. Our DD currently plays 10U travel, and understanding that there would be travel for tournaments, friendlies etc we wanted to keep the practice travel to a minimum. Long story short the teams close by weren't the best fit. We currently play for a team that is 40 minutes away. It is a much better fit for DD, and to be honest it's not that bad. It is good bonding time.

The most important thing is to find the right fit, and to do that you may have to travel. You just need to decide how far.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dd2k13