Rear elbow/forearm

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
There are few absolutes. While I think a majority have the back elbow up and the rear forearm is level with the ground, this clip shows it can be done differently.

giphy.gif

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
Every good MLB hitter for dozens of years has a flat rear forearm.

This hitter does other good things that most kids don't. She has a nice stride, and nice coil inward, and her hands stay connected to her torso during the swing.

But if this hitter had a flat rear forearm, and didn't have bat drag, she would have more bat speed, and better control of the strike zone. And her slugging Pct would go up.

Folks at home: Take a bat and hold it both ways - flat and down forearm - and see which way gives the bat head some added oomph.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
We aren’t training ML hitters. Our sport is for fun. You try to be 1% better every practice so you can be 1% better in a game.

side note: I adjusted my always trying to be 10% better per Pattar. 1% better is now my goal.

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
She may have had another flaw and the lower elbow setup could have been a way to “fix” it. I dont think up down as an absolute but getting loaded is. Most high level hitters get it up at some point but not always.

Good post.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Efastball

The camera angle skews the top hand elbow relationship. I still don’t agree with you that she has bat drag.

Bat drag is more then the top hand and elbow relationship. It represents slop in the swing or upper body.

I’ll be back.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
There are few absolutes. While I think a majority have the back elbow up and the rear forearm is level with the ground, this clip shows it can be done differently.

giphy.gif
What this demonstrates the most is there is more than one way to skin a cat. This hitter also has a little of the ABAF move too which is not allowed in the HL swing. LOL. Wait, is she STB? ( I know she is not)
BUT she has brutally strong legs and core, bats are extremely hot and the fences are 200 feet. There is a lot of good stuff happening in this swing too. Hand and shoulders stay connected, head/eyes stays still after heel down and she whips the shirt out of it. Who is it and what's her stat line?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802