Rear elbow/forearm

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 2, 2017
Ok, in that case what visual bat path checkpoints are we using to define bat drag? Bat stays lagged too long?

That's how I would look at it. The barrel is never launched for lack of a better word. The the body itself has launched to swing, but the barrel has done nothing. So the barrel would be dragged through the zone. I guess an example could be: If you just put the bat in lag and just turned never releasing the barrel. Or even better arm bar then turn. Not the best examples, but I think that is how I would define it.

Jun 8, 2016
That's how I would look at it. The barrel is never launched for lack of a better word. The the body itself has launched to swing, but the barrel has done nothing. So the barrel would be dragged through the zone. I guess an example could be: If you just put the bat in lag and just turned never releasing the barrel. Or even better arm bar then turn. Not the best examples, but I think that is how I would define it.
Ok. That said I do agree with @efastball that certain positions provide a mechanical advantage (a viewpoint which is supported by “experimental data”) and while a hitter may overcome “elbow drag” and not have “bat drag” (as defined above), it doesn’t mean that said hitter is best utilizing his/her body. In other words their path may be fine but other metrics could be improved.

Oct 2, 2017
Ok. That said I do agree with @efastball that certain positions provide a mechanical advantage (a viewpoint which is supported by “experimental data”) and while a hitter may overcome “elbow drag” and not have “bat drag” (as defined above), it doesn’t mean that said hitter is best utilizing his/her body.
I agree! Just making sure what we are defining are correct terms LOL

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
While severe "elbow drag" often has a player dragging the bat, It is not to be interchanged with the term "Bat Drag".

Before, this thread, there was no such term as 'elbow drag'. And if there was such a term, it would be elbow advance, since the elbow is advancing too quickly, not dragging. So the term 'elbow drag' would be incorrect and backwards.

Bat drag (hands behind the back elbow) always has the player dragging the bat. It has to, because you lost your leverage with the dropping elbow, and with the rotating torso/body.

Bat drag will lead to either:
1. if you hit the ball out front, extending the biceps away from the body in order to make contact
2. if you hit the ball at the normal contact point, the bat head has not extended beyond the hands. This could result in lots of popups, foul tips, and/or weak grounders.

So , bat speed will be much slower than it could be.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802