Ready Stance Preference or does it matter.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Ready Stance on the field.
Is there any real difference to use a

Staggered ready stance
or
Squared ready stance

I always start Squared.
Does not matter to me how a player starts.
What matters is lateral and horizontal range. With approach to the ball.

What say the dfp community?

Jun 8, 2016
I just have my DD take a step in but what I have noticed is that as the batter swings she does a little hop naturally, which is what I remember myself doing. If I tried to teach her the "Auburn hop" right now (she is 10) I can 100% guarantee she would mess it up monumentally.. :LOL: As a matter of fact that pretty much goes with anything I try to teach her..she would likely be pretty much the same player if my wife (who never played softball) hit her ground balls and threw to her :unsure:

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
May be easier for the young ones to do this rather than what is used at Auburn or Japan because of leg strength

Oct 26, 2019
May be easier for the young ones to do this rather than what is used at Auburn or Japan because of leg strength

I’m not too concerned with the height of the hop. I show the girls a few different ways to hop, whether that be a split step or a right left hop like in the video you linked. The only thing I am really looking for is that they land in an athletic position and that the feet are on the way down when the ball hits the bat.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
This is the video that made sense to my 13 YO DGD and changed her game at 3rd.

NBECoach

Learning everyday
Aug 9, 2018
I prefer even feet and facing the batter. Seems to me if a RH thrower is staggered that when the ball is hit to the fielders left side it is difficult to bring the right leg directly over and avoid hitting the left leg.

Also loose hands about belt high, thumbs up. I see many fielders have their glove down and in front. How many balls are hit directly at the fielder in a game? 1, maybe 2? So whats the first thing they have to do to move? That's right, bring the glove up and then turn.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802