Reading the ball off the bat

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 17, 2019
My DD is a 3rd baseman and she does a great job except with hard hit balls. It takes her a bit to realize the ball is coming toward her so she has a slight delay which in hard hit balls cost her.

Are there any drills I can do with her to teach her or help her with reading the ball off the bat. When I hit balls to her she has no problem fielding them, she only has issues in games. I asked her about it and she said it takes her a second to realize they are hit to her.

Jun 20, 2015
3b is wrong spot to have delayed reactions. What age is this?

you might try having her track ball in from pitcher to the batter. This should help as the ball in field of vision entire time and she doesn't have to reacquire ball off the bat.

Apr 30, 2010
Artic Circle
When you hit to her are you at the plate? My daughter and I had a drill (She played 1st) where I would hit balls to her and keep getting closer to her with every few hits. Would end up about 15 feet apart at the end. She slowly got better and better at seeing the ball and reading it quickly.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Hit more balls, and verify that she's actually watching the batter during the pitch and then the BAT at contact. As soon as the pitcher goes into the windup, eyes should be on the batter. At the swing, eyes lock on the bat itself. I played 3B in SP leagues where the ball comes very hot, but seeing it off the bat was automatic.

If she can't get there, consider the outfield. As you go along, a well hit ball will take less than a second to arrive.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
As soon as the pitcher goes into the windup, eyes should be on the batter. At the swing, eyes lock on the bat itself. I played 3B in SP leagues where the ball comes very hot, but seeing it off the bat was automatic.
Wait, what?

I've literally never heard of this, and it sounds absolutely insane to not watch the ball out of the pitcher's hand. In fact, you absolutely cannot get into a good ready position without timing the ball out of the hand. Is she just supposed to guess when the pitch is thrown?

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
My DD is a 3rd baseman and she does a great job except with hard hit balls. It takes her a bit to realize the ball is coming toward her so she has a slight delay which in hard hit balls cost her.

Are there any drills I can do with her to teach her or help her with reading the ball off the bat. When I hit balls to her she has no problem fielding them, she only has issues in games. I asked her about it and she said it takes her a second to realize they are hit to her.
Video might help feedback.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802