Radar guns

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 4, 2018
I use the Pocket Radar for exit velocity about one time per month. The Pocket Radar works great if you stand behind the batter, it also works great standing behind a pitcher.

Aug 1, 2019
don't be fooled. Pocket Radar is the best BUT the Bushnell is not far off. I have both and they read the same. I had read years agao that you have to add 5 mph to the Bushnell as it reads slow. So I bought a pocket radar ball coach. They read identical. I was hoping the Bushnell was "much" slower and DD was "much" faster but the ball coach confirmed it. Same speed. Tested both several times with other players, driving by MPH signs, etc. Always the same speed.

Espn radar??? You never know what you will get. They had a LL pitcher throwing 64 to 65 on one day and then a consistent 59 the rest of the tournament during the finals a couple of weeks ago. The 59 was more accurate as they interviewed the pitcher and her goal was to hit 60 this year. She said she was told she may have hit it once.

Espn radars are a joke. Bushnell and pocket read the same or damn close to itl

Apr 20, 2017
I use the pocket radar from time to time with exit velocity off of the tee and seems to work well. I would recommend getting the smart ball coach version. It has several great features that make it a great tool for training besides just taking a reading from time to time. You can video swings or pitches and shows speed on the video and only stores the few seconds of motion. That is great to be able to use the video and show girls the difference in a swing or pitch and the reason for the higher or lower number. You can also use the app for continuous mode without video and store an entire hitting or pitching session. It gives you the max speed, average speed and number of balls read. That is nice from time to time to track progress. It is a little more money then other pocket radars but if using for training it is a great tool.

Dec 11, 2010
Was at a Big 10 conference game last spring. Home teams pitching data person was sitting in front of us in the stands. We were not all that close to the catcher.

They were using pocket radar.

BTW I was watching pretty close over her shoulder and fastest pitch I saw from both teams was 64. Same as mine read sitting behind them.

Had a “my kid only plays gosh danged PGF” dad try to convince me that they see nothing but 65 mph plus pitching at 16’s a few weeks later. Insistent that most 14’s throw that hard too. Sheesh.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
I use the pocket radar from time to time with exit velocity off of the tee and seems to work well. I would recommend getting the smart ball coach version. It has several great features that make it a great tool for training besides just taking a reading from time to time. You can video swings or pitches and shows speed on the video and only stores the few seconds of motion. That is great to be able to use the video and show girls the difference in a swing or pitch and the reason for the higher or lower number. You can also use the app for continuous mode without video and store an entire hitting or pitching session. It gives you the max speed, average speed and number of balls read. That is nice from time to time to track progress. It is a little more money then other pocket radars but if using for training it is a great tool.

Thanks for the info. I did look at the Smart Ball coach version. It's an extra 100.00. I have Blast for swing metrics, not sure if I need more feedback, although I will consider it.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
don't be fooled. Pocket Radar is the best BUT the Bushnell is not far off. I have both and they read the same. I had read years agao that you have to add 5 mph to the Bushnell as it reads slow. So I bought a pocket radar ball coach. They read identical. I was hoping the Bushnell was "much" slower and DD was "much" faster but the ball coach confirmed it. Same speed. Tested both several times with other players, driving by MPH signs, etc. Always the same speed.

Espn radar??? You never know what you will get. They had a LL pitcher throwing 64 to 65 on one day and then a consistent 59 the rest of the tournament during the finals a couple of weeks ago. The 59 was more accurate as they interviewed the pitcher and her goal was to hit 60 this year. She said she was told she may have hit it once.

Espn radars are a joke. Bushnell and pocket read the same or damn close to itl

Thanks for the feedback. So yours read the same. That's the feedback I was looking for, someone who has used both.

Dec 11, 2010
Thanks for the info. I did look at the Smart Ball coach version. It's an extra 100.00. I have Blast for swing metrics, not sure if I need more feedback, although I will consider it.

I wish I had the Smart vs. the ball coach version.

Being able to display speed on an iPad via Bluetooth would be useful in my opinion.

Jul 1, 2019
My Bushnell and Pocket Radar both read within 1 mph of each other almost always, have had 2 mph difference a couple of time out of the 175-200 pitches clocked with them. I've only used mine for pitching, not exit speed so I can't speak on that particular use.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28