Questions to ask when subbing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 15, 2019
If a coach asks you to sub for a tournament, what questions would you ask? This would be a 9 hour drive for us so quite a commitment in time and money.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Depends on the tourney. Is this a showcase or a random Pumpkinator Fall event? What is the benefit for your DD? I look at things this way. Is it an investment or an expense? Investment -hopefully there is some type of return(benefit). Expense nothing in return. WIFM-What's In it For Me!

Is this a tryout for the team or does the coach need someone to fill a spot or an insurance policy in case someone gets hurt? i.e.: the 10th or 11th player?

How does my DD fit in for this weekend? Where will she play and how many innings are expected? What if that doesn't happen?

Jul 22, 2015
The most important detail to clarify is do they WANT her or NEED her? Big difference. DD has guest played in both circumstances and I only took her to the "WANT" circumstance once. If they don't really NEED her then I would definitely clarify her playing time in advance.

Oct 4, 2018
Depends on the tourney. Is this a showcase or a random Pumpkinator Fall event? What is the benefit for your DD? I look at things this way. Is it an investment or an expense? Investment -hopefully there is some type of return(benefit). Expense nothing in return. WIFM-What's In it For Me!

Is this a tryout for the team or does the coach need someone to fill a spot or an insurance policy in case someone gets hurt? i.e.: the 10th or 11th player?

How does my DD fit in for this weekend? Where will she play and how many innings are expected? What if that doesn't happen?

Uh, have you played in the Pumpkinator? It's an awesome tourney! :p

Oct 4, 2018
So, so many data points here.

If she's trying out for this team and really wants to be on this team, going to the tournament makes a lot of sense and may lead to wonderful things.

If they need a back-up player to their back-up player, it might be the biggest waste of time and money you ever experience in the softball world.

We pick up some. It comes down mostly to three things: 1) How much will she play and at what positions (we assume she bats last but you should ask), 2) how far is the drive, 3) how much she wants to

Nov 15, 2019
Thanks for the input!! This is for scenic city for a team that has 2 players out due to injury. The coach is vaguely familiar with my daughter as he saw her at a previous tryout so he asked if she's available. She is not looking to leave her current team at all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robertsonwhitney45