Questions about "playing up"

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Sounds to me like your dd is looking at the social aspect of being on a team and wants to be with kids her own age. Perhaps you need to find another social outlet for her, so she can socialize with her age group. While playing at her correct age group in softball, so she can safely develop softball skills.

Jan 13, 2022
Way to go Gertrude the mutilator!

Can also use balled up socks to learn to catch.
Fun challenge to use with one hand.

I have used marshmallows to do the same fun thing also with framing for catchers.
Oh that is a great idea! She loves marshmallows.. I will do that inside with her seeing as itll be below freezing for the next week here.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Jan 13, 2022
Sounds to me like your dd is looking at the social aspect of being on a team and wants to be with kids her own age. Perhaps you need to find another social outlet for her, so she can socialize with her age group. While playing at her correct age group in softball, so she can safely develop softball skills.
She definitely is. She loves being part of a team.. and has made some good friends in her grade at softball. So it's a bit sad that she wouldn't be with those girls.. but yes we could invite them over.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Another thing you can do is have her throw the ball/ marshmallow
up in the air herself and catch it.
That helps hand eye coordination.

Oct 10, 2018
I'm sure it's been suggested already but if she's afraid of the ball get her a fielding mask and chest protector. This way she'll know she's protected while getting comfortable with the ball coming at her. If she's a physically sensitive kid who's afraid of taking a ball to the arm, leg, or ribs softball might not be the sport for her as she's sure to get hit (hard) by wild pitching and errant throws. My DD is always getting a new bruise somewhere whether a from a bad throw, bad hop, jerk baserunner who likes to hit the first baseman whether or not if she's blocking the base, a bad slide, or when a player is attempting a tag, etc, etc. Softball is a lot rougher sport than people realize.

May 27, 2013
When I was involved in LL, we held evaluations and drafts for Minors 9-10U and Majors 11-12U. Eights and under was developmental and did 1/2 season coach pitch then 1/2 season kid pitch. If a player wanted to move up an age group they had to be evaluated and approved to do so by the softball “player agent” (my role). In most cases, it was just eager parents wanting their DD’s with the older girls. Skills-wise, they were not ready. I think we only had 1 play up in Minors and 1-2 play up in Majors when I was there. When parents got to watch the evals, I think their eyes were opened and most realized their DD’s weren’t ready to move up an age group.

This was strictly rec LL.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
When I was involved in LL, we held evaluations and drafts for Minors 9-10U and Majors 11-12U. Eights and under was developmental and did 1/2 season coach pitch then 1/2 season kid pitch. If a player wanted to move up an age group they had to be evaluated and approved to do so by the softball “player agent” (my role). In most cases, it was just eager parents wanting their DD’s with the older girls. Skills-wise, they were not ready. I think we only had 1 play up in Minors and 1-2 play up in Majors when I was there. When parents got to watch the evals, I think their eyes were opened and most realized their DD’s weren’t ready to move up an age group.

This was strictly rec LL.
That is a really neat evaluation your league did. I wonder how much that type of situation goes on these days and where?

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2018
Oh gosh, that does not sound fun. Lol. We also are concerned because she often doesn't always know what to do with the softball when she gets it in a game.. like it just seems to come easier to some kids.

Softball IQ is a tough one. Some girls get it, some don't. All will eventually, but some much earlier than others. And while you can try to teach it, it's best learned during play.

I'm not the best parent, I can admit. In your situation, I know what I'd do. I'd force my DD to play catch with me every day. She would not have a choice.

Now once we are playing, I'd be all positive. All friendly, all encouraging. But, she'd have to play.

With that every day playing, the confidence will come. The fear of getting hit will leave. If you don't help her get over that, her softball career may be sunk.

And guess what, I did all this with both my girls. We played games... how many in a row can we catch. That kind of thing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802