Questions about "playing up"

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Will share this about some folks daughters = catchers.

Have encountered parents calling about catching lessons. Saying their daughter really likes softball and being a catcher,
but they don't want to catch anymore because they're tired of getting hit by the ball.
Bruises all the time.
Because of the mechanics they were taught they thought they had to get hit by all dirt pitches blocking them all with their body.
When they found out that they didn't have to be in such a vulnerable position to get pegged by the ball all the time,
and they learned could use their glove,
it turned around their mental experience as well as they're playing productivity!!!

Learning to use the glove on our hand can do this!!!
Improve on our overall experience!

Jun 27, 2018
How many months is 2 seasons of rec ball?

She cannot catch a ball or throw it really, but does okay with grounders.???
Hmmm interesting and slightly confusing.

Paying attention is focus driven. There is so much going on out on the field that she's probably paying attention to something...
it's just not the focus point at the moment.
How is her focus at home around the house?

More importantly…how is her focus in school? That’s how you can tell if she has a focusing issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

radness

Dec 13, 2019
More importantly…how is her focus in school? That’s how you can tell if she has a focusing issue.

Another assessment opportunity!

... however will debate if focus in school is more important than focus in softball 😁🥳

Oct 4, 2018
She definitely is. She loves being part of a team.. and has made some good friends in her grade at softball. So it's a bit sad that she wouldn't be with those girls.. but yes we could invite them over.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I might be the outlier here, but if you work with her for 8 weeks she can probably pass by some of her friends that are moving up to 10U and be ready to play with them.

I'm constantly amazed at how much improvement can be made in short order in the 8-9 age range. I think you and your DD can both get what you want for the next season if you put in the time.

Oct 4, 2018
We do something similar here in CA. The prospect wanting to play up has to rate on evalutation day in the top 30% of the older group or she has to stay down in her age group.

Yup, us too. Every single Rec player has to come to evaluations (or be randomly placed in her correct age group if she can't or doesn't come).

Only top 20% can move up, and that's only done if the parents or evaluators ask for it to happen.

Jun 27, 2018
Another assessment opportunity!

... however will debate if focus in school is more important than focus in softball

That’s a good point. My daughter was diagnosed with ADHD in second grade. Hers was more a focus issue than a hyperactivity problem. She didn’t have an issue in softball or home life, so I was surprised. She’s 18 now and just completed her first semester in college with a 4.0. GPA. (Lots of hard work and dedication). For a long time I questioned that diagnosis. Does she REALLY have a focusing issue? Didn’t seem to at home or in activities so much. The doctor said when they are doing something they enjoy it’s easier to stay focused. When she reflects on those younger years now, she says she didn’t understand reading or math until about 6th grade. I had no idea it was that bad then. . She got extra help in the younger years plus I guess she was doing well enough to get by.

Jan 13, 2022
I might be the outlier here, but if you work with her for 8 weeks she can probably pass by some of her friends that are moving up to 10U and be ready to play with them.

I'm constantly amazed at how much improvement can be made in short order in the 8-9 age range. I think you and your DD can both get what you want for the next season if you put in the time.
Thank you! I am totally willing to play with her.. even in the winter to get her ready. She on the other hand needs some convincing to practice and yet still think she should just "get to" move up.

Jan 13, 2022
That’s a good point. My daughter was diagnosed with ADHD in second grade. Hers was more a focus issue than a hyperactivity problem. She didn’t have an issue in softball or home life, so I was surprised. She’s 18 now and just completed her first semester in college with a 4.0. GPA. (Lots of hard work and dedication). For a long time I questioned that diagnosis. Does she REALLY have a focusing issue? Didn’t seem to at home or in activities so much. The doctor said when they are doing something they enjoy it’s easier to stay focused. When she reflects on those younger years now, she says she didn’t understand reading or math until about 6th grade. I had no idea it was that bad then. . She got extra help in the younger years plus I guess she was doing well enough to get by.

Good for your daughter!! She definitely has attention issues but not enough at school that it warrants getting a diagnosis for now. I don't know if softball isn't for her and maybe she's enjoy something else more and then she's focus more. She does say she loves it.

radness

Dec 13, 2019

Good for her!
Good for parents paying attention to finding solution!

Jan 13, 2022
Yup, us too. Every single Rec player has to come to evaluations (or be randomly placed in her correct age group if she can't or doesn't come).

Only top 20% can move up, and that's only done if the parents or evaluators ask for it to happen.
I think it's good to have a system like that.. however I still just find the whole playing up thing silly.. why can't all the kids just play in the correct age group?? Otherwise, it creates issues like in our league where any entire grade of girls now wants to move up.

I played many travel sports for years as a kid.. there were some great players.. no one played out of their own age group! It just wasn't a thing. And I think.. If kids could choose.. they'd want to stay with their same age friends. To me, it's all about parents wanting their kid to be a superstar.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812