Questions about "playing up"

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 13, 2022
Hi all, I am a relatively new softball parent. My 8 (almost 9) yr old has played for two seasons. This coming spring season MOST of her 3rd grade teammates are moving up to 10U. Some because that is their correct age group despite being in the same grade and some because they want to "play up."

I don't understand this "playing up", if ALL of the girls play up then no one is in the correct division, what is the point of even having age groups??

My daughter is quite upset because we don't feel she is ready to play up even though all her friends are.

The second part of the issue is... she SAYS she loooves softball but won't practice. She has played for 2 seasons and still cannot catch a ball or throw it really. She does great with grounders and can hit ok. She also has issues paying attention on the field.

All of this to say, we are worried she'd get hurt or feel like a failure in a higher level.. BUT now she feels left behind because all her friends are moving and she'll likely be the only 3rd grader in 8U..

Should I just move her up to be with her friends?? Thanks!

Oct 26, 2019
If she can’t throw or catch, then there is no reason to have her play up. She would be better developed in another year of 8U. Most girls her age won’t practice outside of their team practice Unless they really enjoy softball. Without knowing much about the situation it sounds like she enjoys being on the team with her friends, but not enough of the sport itself to practice on her own. At her age that is perfectly reasonable.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Hi all, I am a relatively new softball parent. My 8 (almost 9) yr old has played for two seasons. This coming spring season MOST of her 3rd grade teammates are moving up to 10U. Some because that is their correct age group despite being in the same grade and some because they want to "play up."

I don't understand this "playing up", if ALL of the girls play up then no one is in the correct division, what is the point of even having age groups??

My daughter is quite upset because we don't feel she is ready to play up even though all her friends are.

The second part of the issue is... she SAYS she loooves softball but won't practice. She has played for 2 seasons and still cannot catch a ball or throw it really. She does great with grounders and can hit ok. She also has issues paying attention on the field.

All of this to say, we are worried she'd get hurt or feel like a failure in a higher level.. BUT now she feels left behind because all her friends are moving and she'll likely be the only 3rd grader in 8U..

Should I just move her up to be with her friends?? Thanks!
How many months is 2 seasons of rec ball?

She cannot catch a ball or throw it really, but does okay with grounders.???
Hmmm interesting and slightly confusing.

Paying attention is focus driven. There is so much going on out on the field that she's probably paying attention to something...
🙂 it's just not the focus point at the moment.
How is her focus at home around the house?

Jan 13, 2022
If she can’t throw or catch, then there is no reason to have her play up. She would be better developed in another year of 8U. Most girls her age won’t practice outside of their team practice Unless they really enjoy softball. Without knowing much about the situation it sounds like she enjoys being on the team with her friends, but not enough of the sport itself to practice on her own. At her age that is perfectly reasonable.
Yes that is exactly the situation. I personally feel this is best for her, however all of the other 3rd grade parents are moving their kids up... which I don't really understand. So, then, she'll be in a group with Kindergarteners, 1st, and 2nd graders.. and she feels left out.

Jan 13, 2022
How many months is 2 seasons of rec ball?

She cannot catch a ball or throw it really, but does okay with grounders.???
Hmmm interesting and slightly confusing.

Paying attention is focus driven. There is so much going on out on the field that she's probably paying attention to something...
🙂 it's just not the focus point at the moment.
How is her focus at home around the house?
She's played for a spring season and a fall season, so like 6 months. My concern about not paying attention out on the field is that she'll get in the head with a ball..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coach101