Question on interference on runner after scoring

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 6, 2020
There have been a LOT of interference questions lately. While I am glad to get in the mud and suss out the intricacies of the various rules and codes, for the most part these are 'have to be there' plays. So much depends on where exactly the players are, what the ball is doing. Even when there is video, we have trouble really coming to an understanding of what an umpire 'sees' or gives weight to. I think most umpires here, seeing a play on video, 1 time at live speed, will come to a consensus ruling, but when it gets dissected and parsed frame by frame and everyone wants to know why this and not that, then things can get confused.
I got the answer I needed in the first post but started down a hypothetical rabbit hole after. I do appreciate all of the help.

Jul 22, 2015
Speaking of rabbit holes, at what point could this become a blocked ball situation? Or is it even possible since (even though she had already scored) the runner was allowed to be on the field?

Feb 13, 2021
MI
NFHS 2.2.3BLOCKED BALL- A blocked ball is a live ball, pitched, batted, or thrown, which is touched, stopped or handled by a person not engaged in the game; or touches any object which is not part of the official equipment or official playing area, or touches loose equipment.

Emphasis added for clarity. A retired/scored runner is engaged in the game, so not applicable. Think media personnel outside a designated media area or a crazed fan.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
An offensive player getting hit by a thrown ball is never, by itself, interference. If it were, there would a whole lot of beaning going on. USSSA rules interpretations sums up the concept pretty well...

"Interference is the act by an offensive player or team member that inhibits a defensive player making a play. It may be in the form of physical contact, verbal distraction, visual distraction, or any type of distraction that would deny the fielder a reasonable opportunity to execute a play."

The rule isn't a source of cheap outs for the defense. When talking about a thrown ball, there needs to be a play that can be made. A ball flying past the catcher up the 1st base line isn't a play.

Aug 25, 2019
NFHS 2.2.3BLOCKED BALL- A blocked ball is a live ball, pitched, batted, or thrown, which is touched, stopped or handled by a person not engaged in the game; or touches any object which is not part of the official equipment or official playing area, or touches loose equipment.

Emphasis added for clarity. A retired/scored runner is engaged in the game, so not applicable. Think media personnel outside a designated media area or a crazed fan.
I had a play, a runner on first, the ball got away from the catcher and rolled to the opening of the third base dugout, (did not go in dugout) the runner on first ran to second, a girl at the dugout opening (the batter's team) picked up the ball and threw it back to the pitcher, would you consider that blocked ball?.....WOuld the runner that took 2nd base be awarded 3rd base?......I left her at 2nd.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
By rule I have interference and an out. Depending on age group, I have a brain cramp and I would put the runner back and talk to the girl about staying in the dugout where she belongs.

Team members (players listed on the lineup card, including eligible substitutes) and team personnel (Managers, coaches, registered trainers and official scorekeepers) are people engaged in the game.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
By rule I have interference and an out. Depending on age group, I have a brain cramp and I would put the runner back and talk to the girl about staying in the dugout where she belongs.

Team members (players listed on the lineup card, including eligible substitutes) and team personnel (Managers, coaches, registered trainers and official scorekeepers) are people engaged in the game.

Lol...the "brain cramp" rule should be added to 12U and below. I once saw the on-deck batter for another team chase down a wild throw and hand it to the catcher. From a practical standpoint, not only did she not interfere, she actually helped the defense!

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Lol...the "brain cramp" rule should be added to 12U and below. I once saw the on-deck batter for another team chase down a wild throw and hand it to the catcher. From a practical standpoint, not only did she not interfere, she actually helped the defense!
Haha awesome sportmanship. ;)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478