Question for the group

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 21, 2008
Hey folks, between the pitching coaches on this board and fathers of pitchers, I hope someone else has experienced this and/or has remedy available.

I have a pitcher, 16 yrs old in the middle of her high school season. (Fun fact: 5 states in the country play their HS seasons in the fall, Nebraska where I currently live is one of them. 1 state, Iowa, plays theirs in the summer!) That has nothing to do with my question but, I like to throw Cliff Clavin like facts at you all now and then. She is experiencing shoulder discomfort and issues in her glove shoulder. The pitching shoulder is fine, the glove shoulder is having some pain. Before anyone asks, I will not post a video of her but she does NOT swim with her glove hand. Her glove hand and arm are in relative control with the pitching motion, no wild movements with it. If she was a "swimmer" then I would be able to tell pretty easy what the problem is. So I've pretty much ruled out the obvious. Maybe someone here has had a pitcher with pain in the opposite shoulder, if so can you tell me the cause and what you did to remedy?

To be clear, the kid tells me she doesn't believe this happened while pitching but, says it hurts when she does pitch.

Apr 23, 2014
East Jabib
Is it soreness or pain? The glove can be heavy and lifting it up and down hundred + times between warm ups before the game, in game warm ups and in game pitches can result in soreness. My daughter will tell me she’s feeling soreness in her catching shoulder from time to time but never in her pitching shoulder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jan 28, 2017
Look up my post on Purple Hand. My daughters clavicle on her glove side was out of place. I think she dove for a and volleyball hurt her clavicle around 6 months before her hand started turning purple. After a VB game she said, my shoulder popped out but went back in. I'm like yea right.

Oct 2, 2018
Georgia
I would get an exam by a sports medicine physician because it could be a multitude of things and probably non related to pitching. Exam, x ray of the clavicle and shoulder, physical therapy. Most likely injury of glove arm shoulder diving, lifting weights (behind the neck weighted squats and bench press are the worst) etc. Good luck! I hope she heals soon

Jul 22, 2015
Completely anecdotal and not scientific at all, but both dd and another girl she used to pitch with have had shoulder surgeries on their glove arm. Both had multi-directional instability and needed repairs to their labrum and tightened the muscles and ligaments surrounding the shoulder. Neither really thought it was connected to pitching, but it makes you wonder. Both are in their first year of college and rehabbing now. Obviously, no advice there just some info.

Feb 5, 2019
What other sports does she play? My guess is over-pitched and needs more rest between hard pitching days.

Jan 8, 2019
Oddly coincident, had an OF player go to the trainer today because her glove shoulder was hurting her.

Could it be related to hitting? Single sport athlete.

Aug 9, 2021
Need a lot more information to come close to a diagnosis. Minimally, where in the shoulder is the pain? And what part of the motion causes her pain? But based on information posted, and absent an identifiable event, I'd go with some sort of muscular imbalance due to repetitive pitching movement with dominant arm.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802