Question for the group

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 28, 2017
DD had something similar. She is 15 happened between school ball and the summer travel season. She had taken a few weeks off from pitching and was lifting her typical 4-5 days a week during her pitching break. We pitched for a few days and her glove side shoulder really bothered her. As we started looking at it and feeling around it was a muscle that knotted up behind her shoulder. We hit it with the massage gun and heat. She also spent time in the hot tub, and 2 days later she was good to go. Her glove doesn't swim anymore so like you we were able to rule that out. We always use j bands to stretch. However we were not disciplined, following that incident we use them every time we pitch before and typically 30 min after.
This is tricky. If it is a muscular imbalance J bands are awesome (DD did them religiously) but if a muscle is pressing on a nerve or artery any kind of PT can cause more issues. PT can also move the muscle off the nerve or artery but it's tricky in a lot of cases.

Aug 21, 2008
Well, call off the dogs. The father has given me bad info. LOL, no I'm not making this up. It's the throwing shoulder that has the pain, not the glove shoulder. Although, thanks to everyone for their ideas and suggestions. I guess I inadvertently I opened up a discussion that may help others.

Not sure why the pitching shoulder is hurting, I don't think its from softball pitching. As we all know there can be a variety of reasons that shoulder hurts. Many possibilities are the same no matter which shoulder: batting, problem overhand throwing, weights, heavy bookbag, etc.

Thanks all.

Jun 20, 2016
I am very familiar with that Mr. Hillhouse for the longest time I experienced shoulder pain on my glove hand side. For the longest time I could not figure out why.

Then one brisk Wednesday evening during our men’s league game my catcher who just so happens to be a physical therapist tells me “Why are you pulling your shoulder up like that you’re going to cause yourself an impingement” At that point I was already experiencing what I later found out was an impingement.

Then I realized what caused it I was speaking to a friend of mine who is telling me as you deliver your pitch make sure your front shoulder rolls in as you pull your glove to your body well instead of rolling in I was pulling up which created an impingement…..

Long story short I started doing some very simple shoulder impingement exercises that I found on YouTube and within a couple weeks the pain was gone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802