Question about warranty

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 22, 2022
Hi everyone. My daughter and I purchased an Easton Ghost Advanced in Feb-2022. We just sent it back and are being granted a warranty replacement. Hopefully we will be getting it shortly. Is there another year warranty on this bat or is that over?

As a side note, as these bats are expensive and she is only 10, do you all recommend having one bat with cage and tee work and then a game bat? If so, I would guess you want to pick a secondary bat with the same specs (or as close to it) as possible. Right? I would love to hear what anyone else has done. I don't see us having two of the same bats as they are too pricey.

Feb 24, 2022
It's 1 year from the original purchase date.

Yes, you are definitely going to want more than 1 bat, especially with a Ghost - welcome to travel ball! Yes, bats are insanely expensive. Try to look for used bats for sale, or wait to get last year's models at a discount (DeMarini just had a big discount sale). My daughter (14U) has 4 bats in her bag, I didn't pay full price on any of them (2 used, 2 deeply discounted). Just keep in mind that different branded bats will swing differently (even if they are the same weight). If you are going to get her another bat, at 10U it's always safe to go a little bigger because she will grow into it.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Easton will normally replace multiple bats within the warranty period despite it being one and done in their policy. Generally, you ask nicely if a replacement breaks within the original period, and they are very good about sending you a new one. Easton has excellent customer service, and that's a major reason people stick with them despite them breaking.

A cage bat is a great idea. Most of the breaks I see at the younger ages are caused by poor contact points with the ball. Balls hit on the handle or end of the bat tend to cause many more breaks than a ball squared up on the barrel.

You can find many gently used bats on eBay, FB marketplace, and on here. You can also save big on new bats if you know whom to ask. For the record, I'm a rep with a store, and we can save a significant amount on most equipment. There are a few others on here who can get you good deals too.

Dec 11, 2010
I am always the counterpoint on this argument. First of all it SUCKS to have to buy two bats at todays prices. Step one is to never, ever pay full retail at a place like Dicks Sporting Goods or Just Bats.

“Price” is what you pay. “Value” is what you get. Without a warranty, you are not getting value when you buy a fastpitch bat.

I do not believe in the “Get a practice bat off eBay” argument at all. When I sold a used bat, I ALWAYS sold it on eBay because I knew I would get top dollar there. The prices are through the roof there and that was happening before the supply chain issues.

Furthermore, fb marketplace might be a slightly better option. Better prices, no shipping, etc. Problem is, if you are still paying more than half retail price you are taking a chance. No warranty. The money you spend is gone the minute she breaks it. GONE.

A used bat in 2022 is a bat with limited life. They are not more durable! Why the hell would an old used bat be more durable? They are the same models as current bats. It has unknown swings on it. It has been stored unknown ways- freezing cold or hot car trunks, for all you know little brother hit mailboxes with it. And the certainly aren’t “cheap”. I know this because I sold what seems like a million bats there.

Here is what we did- and you are at a perfect juncture to start the rotation. Buy another new bat now. Buy it from an online retailer, there is one member here I have been buying bats from since about 2014 or so. He is a Certified Good Dude! There is another who has been here awhile now and also seems to be a good guy. Keep all of your receipts. (Put them in a Manila envelope as soon as the bat box shows up at your door.) Keep the bat box. You will need those later.

Now- when the warranty replacement shows up, it is her practice bat until the warranty runs out. Then it is the game bat. It is no longer replaceable. Keep the swings off it. Use the “new” bat for practice. If she breaks it, warranty it asap. This becomes a juggling act. You will get good at it out of necessity.

If she is young, you will have times when you need to sell whatever bat she has- usually because she is moving up in size. Fine. Clean it up with Softscrub and a magic eraser and sell it on eBay. The parents “looking for a deal” will run the price up because they are looking at this from a “full retail” point of view. Also be aware that several times Eason let me warranty a bat for a different size. That helped.

Once you get on this rotation, the danger is she breaks two bats at once, maybe neither is in warranty, yeah it could happen. My dd was an early convert to Ghost. She played a ton of softball. It never happened to us, ever. In fact- Ghost was the CHEAPEST OPTION because Easton warranties multiple bats in a year. Wilson (Demarini, Louisville Slugger, aka The Evil Empire) won’t do that. Remember what I said above? Price is what you pay. Value is what you get. Warranty matters.

Good luck and enjoy the ride.

Last edited:

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
A 10yo breaking a bat? Wow...I don't get what people are doing, or bats must be made out of balsa these days. DD could hit HRs, used her bats for everything except machine balls, and never broke one. Some of her team mates through 18U could hit even harder, used their bats with the pitching machine balls, and I remember only a single warranty return over several years. One even swung an early-model Ghost. Several playing in college now.

Had good luck with bats on Ebay both selling and buying. Many of models not named "Ghost" are very durable, and good value can be found if you take the time to look.

Dec 11, 2010
A 10yo breaking a bat? Wow...I don't get what people are doing, or bats must be made out of balsa these days. DD could hit HRs, used her bats for everything except machine balls, and never broke one. Some of her team mates through 18U could hit even harder, used their bats with the pitching machine balls, and I remember only a single warranty return over several years. One even swung an early-model Ghost. Several playing in college now.

Had good luck with bats on Ebay both selling and buying. Many of models not named "Ghost" are very durable, and good value can be found if you take the time to look.
When dd#2 was playing 10u she was using a 30” Rocketech that is still hanging on the wall of my shed. Bat was bullet proof! Thing dropped bombs. One bat, one bomb dropper lol! Hit everything but rocks with it.

I think dd#1 was hitting Xeno’s by then. She broke one here and there. Hit machine balls, baseballs, those old yellow Total Control balls and played when it was snowing lol. (She was out of college softball the year the Ghosts showed up.)

I was buying of season Xenos from Core for $175, dd would use them for a year and then I selling them for about that on eBay or locally. By the time it was over, dd could use a bat for as long as she wanted and it would cost $20. I would jokingly tell my wife it was a $20 Bat Rental Program.

Those were the good old days. It’s not the same now.

The BS in the bat world started when an insurance company named USSSA stuck their filthy noses into the bat certification business. They “solved” an absolutely nonexistent problem. Thats when the chiseling of parents began.

Last edited:

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
They “solved” an absolutely nonexistent problem. Thats when the chiseling of parents began.
Myself can't say for certain who when where it started but I do recall there was no previous standout problems 🤷‍♀️
Definitely know that with the technology we have in our world and still creating bats that break so often
MEHHH 😒 certainly is peculiar

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
No...let me put this to rest with the warranty question. I get this question a couple times. A warranty
is a YEAR from the purchase date of the ORIGINAL bat. You dont get the return bat, then get another year on
the warranty replacement. Its pretty cut and dry and thats how every manufacturer does it.

Now, Easton will replace more than one time in that year and has even went slightly over the year if
you are very nice...but they do not have to do anything over the year...they are just great with customers.
They dont even have to give multiple returns, but again, if you are cool on the phone, they usually help you
out.

So...if you buy your bat Dec 5th now...you get til Dec 4th of next year for the warranty period. After that date, your
transaction for that initial bat is done and so is all warranties for that initial purchase.

As for Prices, never pay full retail. I own an authorized store and have ran my store differently since day one.
I actually care more about customers than selling bats. I dont have any third party salespeople so my prices
usually cant be beat and we keep prices as far down as we can so parents can keep more in their
pockets for bills or whatever else they need. Just like sales, my prices are the same from first release
of a bat, I dont rip people off for a year, then try and lower prices to sell old stock after they have made
ton on customers for a year.

WW does things a little differently, but his madness does work...hahaha :D

Last edited:

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
As far as used bats, I always used to go by the half of retail thought process. If a retail bat
was 399...a NEW NR bat would be 200. If its a used NR bat, you go from there.

But Im telling you, used bat prices are crazy. I have seen people selling all over FB...New NR bats
going for prices that I charge for brand new fully returnable. Seen used bats going for just under that.
Its crazy. If you are going to take the chance on a used bat, you have to keep in mind the chance of
it breaking...and think about that when buying and what you are paying.

Like WW said, you have no idea the backstory on a used NR bat. Nobody will tell you the amount
of REAL swings on it, what they hit with it...nothing. They are trying to sell their bat.

BTW, I am NOT against buying used bats at all...especially the really small sizes that a kid will outgrow
in a month...haha. BUT, I am against overpaying for used bats because there is no protection for you

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802