Quest for pitching knowledge

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
So, I’m going to go through my pitching material. I have a book, Rick Pauly’s complete program, Amanda’s programs. Going to read all the stickies.

Just starting Pauly’s stuff. I don’t know how I missed how much of an open style he teaches. So far everything, the backwards chaining has all been done completely sideways. Shoulders and hips constantly facing 3B, all four points completely sideways. He talks about the hips rotating and the stopping, focusing on stopping them. I don’t want to jump ahead, the technical material I have some of that also. He talks about hip rotation in that material also.

Ricks material is the same as John Gay taught. So far everything I’ve seen is completely sideways. I’m only at beginner course 2 basic fastball.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2011
I luckily was able to grab some of John Gay's stuff off an internet archive site shortly after he died. I think I saw a post recently saying that no one taught IR before 2005. I was going to reply they hadn't seen John's material, but didn't get a chance.

I have most of Bill Hillhouse's DVDs, I bought all of Rick Pauly's information back in 2016, before did all his coach training stuff, have looked at some of his newer stuff but not indepth, and have Amanda's material. I also was able to take a look at Austin Wasserman's high level pitching material over the summer.

Wrapped up with my DD's college search process and her senior year, but plan on digging back into this stuff after this summer. When my daughter was in 10u I was crazy enough to fly to Indiana and Chattanooga to see Balswick/Pauly/Javasource clinics, but my daughter wasn't able to go. She retired from pitching after first year 14u fallball, but was luckily able to go to a Javasource clinic that August. She still has pretty good control over a nasty Pauly changeup, but no desire to pitch except for occasionally some BP.

When she was 10 she took lessons from Balswick for about 18 months. She saw Balswick over the summer when catching a lesson for a HS teammate. He got her to pitch for about 10 minutes after the lesson. He told her she still had the skills to become a pretty good pitcher if she wanted to, but it was up to her and he respected her decision to not pitch.

Rich Balswick and Javasource have been a positive influence on my DD as a person, outside of as a pitcher. She got to see Javasource two summers ago at PGF. She unfortunately has never gotten to meet Rick Pauly in person. Java's instruction helped her immensely as a hitter because he taught her to analysis pitchers and recognize spins.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
I luckily was able to grab some of John Gay's stuff off an internet archive site shortly after he died. I think I saw a post recently saying that no one taught IR before 2005. I was going to reply they hadn't seen John's material, but didn't get a chance.

I have most of Bill Hillhouse's DVDs, I bought all of Rick Pauly's information back in 2016, before did all his coach training stuff, have looked at some of his newer stuff but not indepth, and have Amanda's material. I also was able to take a look at Austin Wasserman's high level pitching material over the summer.

Wrapped up with my DD's college search process and her senior year, but plan on digging back into this stuff after this summer. When my daughter was in 10u I was crazy enough to fly to Indiana and Chattanooga to see Balswick/Pauly/Javasource clinics, but my daughter wasn't able to go. She retired from pitching after first year 14u fallball, but was luckily able to go to a Javasource clinic that August. She still has pretty good control over a nasty Pauly changeup, but no desire to pitch except for occasionally some BP.

When she was 10 she took lessons from Balswick for about 18 months. She saw Balswick over the summer when catching a lesson for a HS teammate. He got her to pitch for about 10 minutes after the lesson. He told her she still had the skills to become a pretty good pitcher if she wanted to, but it was up to her and he respected her decision to not pitch.

Rich Balswick and Javasource have been a positive influence on my DD as a person, outside of as a pitcher. She got to see Javasource two summers ago at PGF. She unfortunately has never gotten to meet Rick Pauly in person. Java's instruction helped her immensely as a hitter because he taught her to analysis pitchers and recognize spins.

That is what it is really about. We have a fun bunch, all friends.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
There is more than one way to pitch that is for sure. Just like hitting.

My question is what is the best way.

When I’m seeing everyone completely sideways practicing the whip and talk about hip rotation and stopping that rotation when there is none, that is what I’m interested in.

The pelvis starts at 45 degrees, opens slightly to return back to 45 degrees before foot plant in this video.

15A2F95A-45BA-440E-9044-3851E430719F.gif

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Notice she sets the pelvis around 45 degrees (back foot turns as she sets this angle), strides in same plane the hips create. Which takes her stepping across the power line. I also like how she got away with taking a small step forward throughout her career. 👍

0446B6DD-4EE5-4C50-BF37-9535D78D2A55.gif

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
You see John Gay was open at all cost. He taught my niece to turn the back foot to open. He was adamant that the hips did nothing. That pivoting the back foot open was a leg drive killer. The butt went out as opening was the most important.

Most of the girls that did well with him had long arms and legs like John. The things they did were a little strange at times. Some of them suffered from shoulder injuries. One of his star students shoulder went bad in college. I’ll show you a couple, one leaping (which is legal now) and one crow hoping. The leaper suffered many injuries, through HS and College. Which she did attend UCLA, saw her get a little mop up work where they talked about her struggles with injuries.

Don’t get me wrong John was a great guy. He was teaching what he thought was correct.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
I remember one pitcher who was on his video (so was Monica perhaps his best student I mentioned earlier who pitched for OSU) she was pitching at state for HS she leaped replanted and leaped again. The fans were asking how many times she gets to leap at the their hitters.

Too bad I lost my copy of his video. I transferred it to DVD with several other pitching videos. Lost the DVD, found it, and lost it again.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2020

Would love to hear more about your impressions of the Wasserman's high level pitching material. I haven't been able to find a lot of information on it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FPVQ23