Purple Hand

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 22, 2019
I agree. You need to keep taking to the doctor until you get a diagnosis that they can treat. I honestly have no idea what could cause this, but if it’s not getting better on its own, keep going.

You got my prayers that all works out well.

Jan 28, 2017
Took her back to the ER and had a chest x-rays and ultrasound. Both negative. Got home and a lymph node or something is poking out in the back of her head. Trying to get into a vascular doctor next week. She looks like the picture of health with the biggest smile on her face.

Jan 28, 2017
Appointment with the vascular doctor on 7-11. Wants more chest x-rays and another ultrasound.

Apr 20, 2015
I suspect she has a vascular compression especially given the appearance with certain neck movements. It happens in athletes when they over develop certain muscles on their throwing side. If this vascular dr doesn't get you the answer you need to find a sports medicine orthopedic surgeon that specifically works with people in throwing sports. Look for those that list among their credentials being a team doctor for a baseball pro team or college etc. Best of luck!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Jan 28, 2017
I suspect she has a vascular compression especially given the appearance with certain neck movements. It happens in athletes when they over develop certain muscles on their throwing side. If this vascular dr doesn't get you the answer you need to find a sports medicine orthopedic surgeon that specifically works with people in throwing sports. Look for those that list among their credentials being a team doctor for a baseball pro team or college etc. Best of luck!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Yes. It's so odd because it is her glove hand. No pain or swelling. Just shakes and turns blue with a strong pulse when checked. Crazy. I think it's a compression or nerve deal somewhere but really have no clue. Hopefully the vascular doctor will find it. We have been in contact with the Andrews Institute and local sports medicine people and they referred us to the vascular doctor but they haven't seen anything like it in the non throwing hand. TY.

Jan 28, 2017
Really liked our vascular doctor today. He said, you can't 100% diagnose Thoracic Outlet Syndrome but DD shows signs of it in both arms. She is RH but shows more symptoms on the left side. Anything at 90% or higher on the left side shows signs of lose of blood flow. Her strength in her left hand is good but loses her strength to fast. Her left scapula is to far away from her chest and he said this could have been at birth or from activity. He thinks everything is neurological and not vascular. Good news!

He set her up for PT and said it may take 6 weeks or 3 years. The hand may always turn purple. He released her to play but stop if symptoms pop up. Hopefully she will not have any.

Jan 28, 2017
First PT appointment today. PT disagreed with basically everything the doctor said. Really liked her also. Told us if the PT isn't working in a few visits we will send you back to the vascular doctor early. She said, I've never seen anything like this. Nothing is typical of Thoracic Outlet Syndrome. She did an ultrasound massage that my DD said felt good and really loosened her up but her hand started turning purple doing the ultrasound which had the PT stumped again. Once we left her hand was completely normal. It was a little pale when we got to PT since we practiced the day before. No pain or swelling at all. CRAZY!

Jan 28, 2017
Two and a half weeks of PT and her hand seems to be getting better. DD is playing VB with no issues. She is the setter and plays with her hands overhead all day long and serves. When she pitches her hand is still turning a little purple but not as bad. Her non throwing side is very sore from the exercises and playing. This was not the case before the issues. She was doing most of the exercises that the PT prescribed before the issues but she is very sore. Crazy!

Jan 28, 2017
Went back to the vascular doctor and we are sticking with physical therapy for now. He said again that her hand my turn purple for the rest of her life but he wasn't worried about that. Just didn't want any numbness or pain. She has never had any pain or numbness. Any kind of stress changes the neck muscles and can cause the muscles to clamp down more on the nerve that causes the hand to turn purple. Seems to be related to hot temperatures. Doc- don't live on the Equator then. LOL. He did a test and brought her arm back behind her head and when he turned it loose you could see it bounce forward. He said, that's good because she has more room to stretch the muscles out where it will not bounce forward. We have to get the muscle off the nerve to see if it will repair itself.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28