Purchasing Helmets Recommendations

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 28, 2020
We are purchasing team helmets for a 14U team.

We are looking at the Easton Ghost Softball Batting Helmet, but we can't tell if the pads are removable. (We would like removeable pads)

We are looking for a solid helmet with a faceguard. Safety is our number 1 goal.

If you have any recommendations please let me know.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
First off, Easton helmets are really hard to come by right now, so make sure you can actually get them before you decide. I'm a dealer, and even we are having a difficult time getting them in stock.

When you say removable, do you mean actually taking them out and replacing with different sizes? The only ones who used to do that were Schutt. They had removable pads that could be replaced with smaller ones as the girls grew since the shell was the same size. They were the Air Maxx T5.6, but I think they're discontinued. They were also rather expensive.

I would look towards either Evoshield or Boombah for helmets that will be in stock.

Mar 28, 2020
First off, Easton helmets are really hard to come by right now, so make sure you can actually get them before you decide. I'm a dealer, and even we are having a difficult time getting them in stock.

When you say removable, do you mean actually taking them out and replacing with different sizes? The only ones who used to do that were Schutt. They had removable pads that could be replaced with smaller ones as the girls grew since the shell was the same size. They were the Air Maxx T5.6, but I think they're discontinued. They were also rather expensive.

I would look towards either Evoshield or Boombah for helmets that will be in stock.
Thanks for the reply. So removable pads is out. I will check out Evoshield and Boombah thanks

Aug 1, 2019
MN
It's been about five years, but I was happy with the Under Armor helmets we used in TB. The padding was soft enough where it would fit a wide range of head sizes. They weren't loose and bobbly on the small heads, and the larger headed girls could still get the helmet on and off easily.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
Removable pads are tough anymore. You can find pads to add, but removable is tough.

Everything is hard to come by anymore. Easton is backordered on a ton. Mizuno has some nice helmets and a lot are
in stock. I outfitted a few teams with Mizuno because Easton is rough with supply right now. Thats not saying
other manufacturers arent having a rough time either...its hit or miss on colors and whats in stock.
To say its a cluster right now is an understatement.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2021
Sioux Falls, SD
My daughter uses the Ghost helmet for offseason and some practices. Uses the Mizuno now mostly for team and practices "in my acct pic"...BOTH are amazing, comfortable, and give solid viewing windows through mask.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2018
DD has worn a few different helmets over the past eight years. The Mizuno F6 has been her favorite as far as fit and comfort. A quick google search seems to show that they’re available through a couple of retailers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sep 22, 2021
Sioux Falls, SD
Yes, the Mizuno were the easiest to obtain this season. Great helmets...I personally think both the mizuno and ghost helmets have the best and most comfortable liners and venting systems. Helmets are helmets, but they both cover their bases per say :LOL:(y)(y)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28