Pulled my DD off her second year 10u travel ball team.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
No one knows if any girl will be "D1 Good" until 16U ball.

I don't know. On my DD's 14U team, it was pretty clear who was on track to play at the D1 level (higher skill level, work ethic, etc.). Of those, all of them are except the one who decided not to play college ball - my kid. There were a couple of others who had such ridiculous natural athleticism at a young age (12U), that there was little doubt they would end up D1 if they continued in the game. Both did.

Oct 4, 2018
You made the right decision. Your DD made the right decision.

Things will get considerably better almost immediately (with a few assumptions).

I'm not sure when the natural try-out times are in your area, but if that's soon, excellent. Go to tryouts and find the next team. I'm a huge proponent in knowing which team is your next team - meaning you've been watching other teams and know one where the skill level is right, coaches are great, competition level is right, they can use the positions your DD plays, etc. Hopefully you've been observing and have a few teams already pinpointed.

If tryouts are a bit off, join something quick to stop the bleeding and get her playing. That may be her future team, or may just get you to the next try out period. But I'd get her playing fast rather than sitting and stewing and wishing she was playing and perhaps regretting leaving the old team.

Jun 8, 2016

Jan 7, 2020
When i made this post 7 months ago i should have pulled her then. For 7 month we have been working, no matter how hard we worked we still never got a chance. ultimately i let my daughter decide if she wanted to keep playing with that team or move on, she wanted to stay. Sunday is when she finally told me she wanted to go, we found another team already that has been reaching out to us to join the team, so that is where we will be going for the time being to finish out the fall season. She was currently on a A listed team but will will be going back to a B listed team to actually get playing time.

Thank you to everyone for your input. I Feel i have made the right decision for my daughter.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
When i made this post 7 months ago i should have pulled her then. For 7 month we have been working, no matter how hard we worked we still never got a chance. ultimately i let my daughter decide if she wanted to keep playing with that team or move on, she wanted to stay. Sunday is when she finally told me she wanted to go, we found another team already that has been reaching out to us to join the team, so that is where we will be going for the time being to finish out the fall season. She was currently on a A listed team but will will be going back to a B listed team to actually get playing time.

Thank you to everyone for your input. I Feel i have made the right decision for my daughter.

You did make the right decision for your DD.

Aug 8, 2022

You absolutely made the right move. Getting her game time experience right now is so important. She can work on improvement of skills outside of games and that's essential as well but she needs to play to put those skills to work and be confident in what she can do.

She can always move back to an A team. With the game experience and work she's putting in she'll be ready. Just think hard before going back to the same team, it's likely these coaches have a certain view of your DD that is extremely hard to change. My DD didn't make the move in time and she's a bit stuck as no matter how hard she works and how much better her skills are, the coaches will never see her as starter.

Mar 10, 2020
So yesterday we made the decision to pull my daughter off her travel ball team that we've been on since 8u. The team she was on was no doubt a talented team. a lot of stacked players on the team, unfortunately my daughter was one of the ones who always sat the bench. now i have always preached to my daughter that you have to earn your playing time, but this past year i have felt that the decision the coaches were making were not justifiable. Yesterday was the pushing point. We played a total of 5 games this past weekend and my daughter only played 1 full game. on the car ride home my daughter finally told me she is not happy on the team and wants to play somewhere else. i have reached out multiple time to the HC to have a conversation but i never get a reply. So i sent my coach a message last night letting him know we will not be returning to the team, and still have yet to receive a reply. i rather take my daughter somewhere else where she can be used then to have her sitting on the bench. you can see it in her face that she was falling out of love for the game. her team won came in second in this past tournament and the only thing she can say to me was "i don't deserve this ring, i didn't do anything but sit on the bench" as a father that hurts. :(
Travel ball since 8U

Nov 1, 2022

Finding the magic chemisry on a team is everything for young athletes. Being on a team where other players are not laughing at your mistakes or hoping you strike out is a plus, but having supportive teammates and a coach that keeps pushing you to give him all you got is just what the Dr. ordered. My daughter was told repeatedly she was not a good player by her HS softball coach. She knew better but it bothered her a lot. She decided to play for a different team one summer and her experience there was so good it made an impact in her outlook on life. She played for a team that wiped the school team off the map and she started every game there. The icing on the cake was when the team voted for MVP they picked her. One of the greatest moments in her life so far. So find that team that is out to bring your daughter up and that supports her and I bet she will be a totally different player.

Sep 3, 2015
You did the right thing OP.

Different coaches value players differently. My DD was on a few different very high level A teams. There were coaches who had their mind set on who the “players” were, and there were coaches who develop players (even at 18u). My kid is a pitcher, so no issues there, but on that team, if you were on the team you played.

There are managers and there are coaches.

I guess my point is don’t sell yourself short on “A” ball, you might just need to find a real coach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812