Preparing for Showcase Tournaments

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 9, 2021
Other than practice and getting your team ready physically and mentally for showcase tournaments. What else should a coach have ready before going to these types of tournaments? Any suggestions will be helpful. Thanks

Mar 8, 2016
1. Make sure you have your girls contact college coaches before they go to let them know they will be there and their schedule
2. Have team brochures printed up and a way to hang them on the fence
3. Talk to your girls about where they think they want to go to school so you know their goals
4. Ask the girls at every practice leading up to the showcase if they have done #1
5. If you know them reach out to the college coaches that girls are interested in and let them know you have xxx player that is interested in your program. Be honest don't short change a girl but don't over sell either
6. Have yourself or another coach always prepared to talk to a coach that is obviously interested. Your main goal in being there is to help the girls get recruited. Make it a priority.
7. Playing fundamentally sound softball is important. Nothing will run coaches off faster than watching a team that is not fundamentally sound.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Aug 9, 2021
1. Make sure you have your girls contact college coaches before they go to let them know they will be there and their schedule
2. Have team brochures printed up and a way to hang them on the fence
3. Talk to your girls about where they think they want to go to school so you know their goals
4. Ask the girls at every practice leading up to the showcase if they have done #1
5. If you know them reach out to the college coaches that girls are interested in and let them know you have xxx player that is interested in your program. Be honest don't short change a girl but don't over sell either
6. Have yourself or another coach always prepared to talk to a coach that is obviously interested. Your main goal in being there is to help the girls get recruited. Make it a priority.
7. Playing fundamentally sound softball is important. Nothing will run coaches off faster than watching a team that is not fundamentally sound.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
Thank you! That’s great stuff.

May 21, 2015
South
A coach (not a parent) should hang out by the brochures outside the fence. This coach should be there to talk to college coaches who walk up. This individual should have knowledge of the individual girls goals, awareness of the college programs. and be able to effectively talk up individual girls on the team.

Jun 11, 2012
Tell the girls not to talk to parents during the game, make sure they have enough water etc and please do not carry your child’s gear for them.
Also, coaches watch behavior on the bench too. Always behave like someone is watching

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
I went to a high level tourney on Saturday with another softball dad. We try to go to this same event in the summer and the fall. Lots of college coaches doing their thing. I noticed Trisha Ford the new Aggie Softball coach was watching her committed/signed players. Talk about pressure on those players meeting the new coach and trying to perform well. I don't miss the summer heat at those tourneys. Now it's the cold I gotta deal with.

Jul 19, 2021
I sat behind a couple of college coaches at a showcase on Friday and they were more interested in behavior/body language/attitude than anything else.
Well yes at a certain point that becomes the difference maker between 2 potential players but they are more concerned about talent before getting to the point of worrying about body language. No coach cares about a pitcher's body language if they are only throwing 52 mph.

Oct 10, 2018
Well yes at a certain point that becomes the difference maker between 2 potential players but they are more concerned about talent before getting to the point of worrying about body language. No coach cares about a pitcher's body language if they are only throwing 52 mph.

and conversely probably don't care much if she's throwing 70 mph. :)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28