Pregame warmups? Pitching guys chime in please.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 26, 2019
This will not be very helpful to you, but I will never forget the first time I told a girl to go warm up in the middle of the game because our pitcher was struggling. I looked down in the bullpen area where she was warming up and she was on a knee doing flips totally taking her sweet time. We had to teach them how to warm up with some urgency.

Jun 8, 2016
This will not be very helpful to you, but I will never forget the first time I told a girl to go warm up in the middle of the game because our pitcher was struggling. I looked down in the bullpen area where she was warming up and she was on a knee doing flips totally taking her sweet time. We had to teach them how to warm up with some urgency.
Relievers typically march to their own beat..😂

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
This is 1 of my pet peeves.

DD would warm up with Team doing whatever including overhand throws so she was loose before she starting thtowing to a C. It is not pitching practice, you come to the game with what you got. She only needed a few minutes to warn up pitching. She wanted to get the feel of her body, hand and arm.

Some other pitchers seemed to treat it as pitching practice. Just as an unpartial observer, lol,.they are not.going to last more then an inning or.two

Jun 27, 2021
Pitchers are routine. 45-60 is a good starting point, to get legs loose, do arm bands, spinner, throw and then get loose with multiple pitches without feeling rushed.

For the kid on the bench, always stay loose with bands and leg stretches during the game/half innings to cut down the bullpen/warmup. Lighter on the pregame bullpen but enough to be loose.

Oct 26, 2019
This is 1 of my pet peeves.

DD would warm up with Team doing whatever including overhand throws so she was loose before she starting thtowing to a C. It is not pitching practice, you come to the game with what you got. She only needed a few minutes to warn up pitching. She wanted to get the feel of her body, hand and arm.

Some other pitchers seemed to treat it as pitching practice. Just as an unpartial observer, lol,.they are not.going to last more then an inning or.two
This is exactly how I feel. I told our girls you are warming up to pitch and not preparing for a lesson. They almost become mentally dependent upon the drills and don’t have any feel for just throwing the ball underhand.

Jun 8, 2016
This is exactly how I feel. I told our girls you are warming up to pitch and not preparing for a lesson. They almost become mentally dependent upon the drills and don’t have any feel for just throwing the ball underhand.
The best pitcher on DD's team this past Spring/Summer couldn't come in relief and be effective. It was like she was a different pitcher. I didn't pay attention to what her warmup was before she started but whatever it was she wasn't able to modify it effectively to come in relief...

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I would have blown a gasket. She was totally unaware of the game situation?????

Oct 26, 2019
I would have blown a gasket. She was totally unaware of the game situation?????
No clue what so ever, but in her defense it was our first season of 10U. I have learned that everything has to be coached…even the things that you think everyone should know.

Jun 22, 2019
Mine (18 yr old) goes for about 15 minutes. She throws overhand for about 20 throws, then transitions to spins from about 20 ft away. She does this about 5 pitches each, then walks back to about 40 ft and throws from 3 o’clock. She does this until loose and then starts pitching. She throws until she feels like she’s got her pitches working and has gotten ”hot” (that’s what she says instead of warm.

She will finish warming up 10-15 minutes before the game starts usually right before the anthem and announcing starting line-up.

before each inning she throws two pitches. I don’t know why she doesn’t throw more, but thats all she does and then stands there until the other team is ready.